• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best oil type?

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Valv VR1 10-40

My choice as well Valvoline VR1

Lucas hot rod and classic...how many quarts do I need?

What oil filters do you guys like?

more then likely 6 Qts if stock pan.......

Motorcraft filter usually ,,,Wix are fine ..back in the day Hastings filters but hard to find now,,,,,,Jomar is another filter 100% no bypass but should change them more often....

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Jumping in with an observation. Had a ‘70s EB 302 built to 320 HP (at least that’s all the builder would admit to) and he said all he ran in anything EXCEPT his drag cars was DELO 400 30 weight oil. I ran it for 4 years until a friend convinced me to part with it and had no problems.
Fast forward to now. I’ve got a 347 stroker with roller cam and roller rockers and not really sure WHAT oil would be best. Could I trust the DELO 400 oil in this engine?

Randy

There is no such thing as Delo 400 oil. It is a marketing name used to describe whatever Chevron is selling at the time. The Delo that you ran before 2016 is different stuff than what you get today. It is no longer adequate to describe the oil by what it says on the FRONT of the bucket. You need to include what's on the BACK of the bucket. Note this pail of Shell Rotella. It is CK-4. Note that CK-4 has been REJECTED by Ford for ALL diesel engines. See the Position Paper attached. The giant mess enabled by the API back in 2004 for gas engines has now migrated to diesel.

And yes, Delo 400 CK-4 is fine for your roller 347.

Attachments

• 41A246AE-B217-45B2-BA53-C47FEF2E2BEB.jpg
    41A246AE-B217-45B2-BA53-C47FEF2E2BEB.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 5CF01DDC-F071-4795-AAE6-CDA84486B441.jpg
    5CF01DDC-F071-4795-AAE6-CDA84486B441.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13
  • position-statement (1).pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 7

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I run Delo 30wt with STP zinc additive and a wix filter.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I've used the STP additive as well, then watching the following test makes me think that I need to be more choosey about which additives I've added. Just to cut to the chase, the STP additives actually had less ZDDP ppm than the motor oil he tested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqiUFklL_XI

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
There is no such thing as Delo 400 oil. It is a marketing name used to describe whatever Chevron is selling at the time. The Delo that you ran before 2016 is different stuff than what you get today. It is no longer adequate to describe the oil by what it says on the FRONT of the bucket. You need to include what's on the BACK of the bucket. Note this pail of Shell Rotella. It is CK-4. Note that CK-4 has been REJECTED by Ford for ALL diesel engines. See the Position Paper attached. The giant mess enabled by the API back in 2004 for gas engines has now migrated to diesel.

I've been running Rotella T4 in my 1997 dodge Cummins for ever and never had problems. Where I worked they run Rotella in all their over the road trucks ,old and new no problems. I 'm not recommending it for gas engines, but for Cummins never seen a problem. I run Lucas classic hot rod oil in my 74 Bronco because it made for the older vehicles high zinc. https://lucasoil.com/products/hot-rods-classic-cars/hot-rod-classic-car-10w-30-motor-oil

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Isn't this all just marketing. Forcing oil manufactures to pay Ford for printing their specification on the label?

Like many other diesel engine manufacturers, with their own internal OEM specification, Ford will now be recommending oils that meet an OEM specification, Ford Material Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. The customer should use an oil showing that it meets this specification.

Didn't GM do this a few years back with the "dexos label?

I run into this with my 14 Shelby GT500. Only oil in the world that meats Ford's specifications is Motorcraft...LOL....I can BS......I THINK Castrol EDGE Super Car has the specification but due to availability I'm running Motorcraft. I have to order it because not even the dang dealer has it in stock....LOL

Been running Shell Rotella T4 in my 2500HD for 10 years.....not a single issue thus far....

Tim

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Isn't this all just marketing. Forcing oil manufactures to pay Ford for printing their specification on the label?

Like many other diesel engine manufacturers, with their own internal OEM specification, Ford will now be recommending oils that meet an OEM specification, Ford Material Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. The customer should use an oil showing that it meets this specification.

Didn't GM do this a few years back with the "dexos label?

I run into this with my 14 Shelby GT500. Only oil in the world that meats Ford's specifications is Motorcraft...LOL....I can BS......I THINK Castrol EDGE Super Car has the specification but due to availability I'm running Motorcraft. I have to order it because not even the dang dealer has it in stock....LOL

Been running Shell Rotella T4 in my 2500HD for 10 years.....not a single issue thus far....

Tim

Some marketing, and a whole lot of warranty liability...

But back to oil. I also run Rotella T4 CK-4 in my Cummins. But Rotella T4 did not decrease Phosphorus when they went to CK-4. You will notice that Rotella T4 CK-4 does not meet API SN. But Delo 400 CK-4 DOES meet API SN. If you meet SN, that means that you meet the 800 ppm MAX requirement for modern Catalytic converters. If you have a flat tappet camshaft...you don't want anything to do with SN.