• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Performance Spark plugs

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I have used Champion Spark plugs forever, and been fairly satisfied but my Bronco desirves the best for it.

So you racers motorheads what do you use, and what makes them better?

OP
OP
sprinksbeme

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Sorry but after all my year selling parts ...Your fords should use either ...
Champion or Motorcraft and Autolite...Chrysler use only Champion ...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the most part the fancy douple platinum tipped plugs are great for new cars that have a very nice computer that keeps them perfectly clean and the only issue is wear. It is not uncommon htese days for a set of plugs to last the life of the car. I know they are often called 100k mile plugs, but I have seen many sets that worked great at 200k. But they are in stock, unmodified, computer controlled engines.

Now for a plug to put into a Bronco, I just use a standard plug. For one I don't expect the engine to last 100k, I didn't put that much into it. Second the tune isn't perfect. So I just use a set of off the shelf Autolites. They are one of the more affordable plugs and never had any issues with them.

theshadow

im all about the Autolites, i recently bought a 92 f150 and the PO had those bull**** double prongers installed. When I bought it he told me the coil had been getting corroded because he thought "the sparks were jumping because the plug wires touched the valve covers and were getting grounded" end quote. I pulled the plugs and all were totally nasty and one of the electrodes was eaten almost to the point where you couldnt see it. When I checked the coil it was also half-eaten. Put some Autolites in with new wires, coil, cap and rotor and shes been running great. Ive always run Autolites, the mustang guys over at www.allfordmustangs.com seem to swear by em, for what thats worth

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
All plug gurus what autolite plug should I be running in my 73 302? It is a stock bottom end with a 600 cfm edlebrock carb and performer intake. I also have a 289 that has Bosh plugs in it I have never had problems with them they were installed by the PO so I had no idea how long they have been in. This truck has a 650 cfm carb a performer intake and the bottom end is a little built. Any input?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I love NGK's, they are no more expensive than the standard plug and had a set go over 60,000 miles in my company truck, 96' F-150 with a 302. I have also seen the same plug in a 1500 hp 572 big block Ford with a 871 blower, with methonal injection "Big Dawg Monster Truck" and does great there too.

David

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Well to start the discussion I absolutely swear by Bosch Platinum plus 4's
My machine just loves them!!
TOFIC

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All plug gurus what autolite plug should I be running in my 73 302? It is a stock bottom end with a 600 cfm edlebrock carb and performer intake. I also have a 289 that has Bosh plugs in it I have never had problems with them they were installed by the PO so I had no idea how long they have been in. This truck has a 650 cfm carb a performer intake and the bottom end is a little built. Any input?

According to the book (I have the autolite spark plug book that is as big as a phone book that good parts stores have) you should run an Autolite 45 at .035" gap. Hotter plug is a 46 and the colder plug is a 124
Since your engine is relitivly stock (you have not gone with a 12:1 compression piston or anything crazy like that) then the stock heat range should do just fine. If you are burning a bit of oil and fouling the plugs, the next range hotter may make the plugs last longer (hotter is more self cleaning) but you risk the spark plugs getting too hot and becoming glow plugs causing detonation issues.
The 45 has a long shell twin to it, the 5125 that may help in odd situations but is the same deminsions where it screws into the head. Might work for some headers? This is providing you still have the stock heads with the 18mm thread holes (use 13/16" socket).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Autolite (45) or motorcraft standard resistor plugs. The higher priced plugs are just that on a carbed engine. If your injected then I'd consider the platinums. Carbed engines tend to need plugs every year or so. Where EFI engines can usually go way longer I'd wouldnt go much past 50,000 but some have gone longer with no problems.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
So it sounds like the best plugs are those that are the proper length, heat range, and gap in good condition. Boosted and nitrous applications have some additional considerations. I've pulled plugs that no longer had electrodes after part of one dragstrip pass.

I about pooped when I spent $25 on a single iridium plug for my bike! I'd need deep pockets for a set of 8!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Almost always had Autolites. In fact, I even had Splitrire make my first set from Autolite cores. Best plugs I ever ran in the Bronco.
That was back when you could actually request a split-fire tip on your favorite plug brand though.

I'm going to try E3 next. Not that I'm all about plugs with fancy-schmancy ground electrodes. Most of mine have been standard Autolites (I've tried different ones in different engines ever since I saw a Bosch double tip), but I had such good luck with the Splitfires and have seen good results in other american V8's with the E3 that I thought them worth a try.

Paul