• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best tool you used for taking out the floor?

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
i'm a huge fan of

angle grinders w/ cutting discs for most all of my metal work. can get in most anywhere, good clean crisp cuts, and easy to make little adjustments via grinding. grinders are cheap. go ahead and buy a pack of discs, will be cheaper than buying singlets and you will always use em down the road. plus i like grinding most stuff w/ the cutting wheels rather than the grinding wheels. just be careful about grinding on those b/c the edge can get thin and break off (wear eye protection). my recommendation is go w/ at least 4.5. its only a few bucks more than a 4" and it seems easier to find the 4.5" discs.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4 1/2" angle grinder with .045 grinding/cutting wheel. They are super thin. Cuts like butter. Better get a few of them. I used an air chissel in spots too to get the metal off of the cross brace floor supports. Don't forget to watch out for the e-brake cable and the fuel line under the drivers floor.

Blue71

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
Plazma cutters are great, but they pop on rust and you still have to concern yourself more with fire. The old cut off 3" wheel is a favorite of mine as well. At .97 a piece for a good 3m wheel, they are very economical. And like 2bad said, they work great for knocking the top off of spot welds. Try putting 2 blades side by side on the mandrel, they last forever and won't dig in as bad when grinding welds.

Broncofarm

I just used an air chisel to take off my rear quarter panel. It worked great at breaking the spot welds and no damage to the other part except a little hole and dimple where the spot was.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
Imho

i use the shit outta my cheap ass ryobi 4" grinder (like 28 bucks at HD) and my 4.5 is a black&decker from walmart for like 25-30. both have seen extensive use and nary a problem. i know they got dewalts and such for alot more, but at 25-30 bucks, they are practically disposable, plus you can return the thing easy. but i haven't had one fail yet.