• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best value winch for the money

texhost1

I have a city cruiser that needs a winch on finish out my new Logan's bumper. This truck is a frame off restoration that is not show quality, but it is too nice to run off road. This winch will be purely for looks. If I were serious about trailing running, I would purchase a Warn or Ramsey. Can anyone recommend a decent value winch that I can slap on the front? I need some sort of reputable brand, but I do not want the gold standard Ramsey or Warn.
What do you think of Superwinch or Smittybuilt? Also, is there any real benefit in having synthetic line? Thanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have a city cruiser that needs a winch on finish out my new Logan's bumper. This truck is a frame off restoration that is not show quality, but it is too nice to run off road. This winch will be purely for looks. If I were serious about trailing running, I would purchase a Warn or Ramsey. Can anyone recommend a decent value winch that I can slap on the front? I need some sort of reputable brand, but I do not want the gold standard Ramsey or Warn.
What do you think of Superwinch or Smittybuilt? Also, is there any real benefit in having synthetic line? Thanks.
Get a cheap winch from Harbor Freight then buy a Warn winch cover.

No point in spending the $$$ to go to synthetic if your not going to use the winch. Unless you can color-match the synthetic line to your paint!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I like my SmittyBuilt XRC 8 $299 shipped.....with cover....Has done everything I've ask it to.....a touch slow but I'm in no hurry.

Tim

u10072

Bronco Guru
X2 on HF all the smittybuilt are Chinese -- some of the HF units with the 20% off coupon are easily no more than $200

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have the X20 8000# Smitty; $349 at 4WP.
But the Warn VR series are fairly cheap too.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
maybe Google something like "fake winch" and maybe you'll get a hit or two on a place that makes a winch that's empty of all the guts, case only. then go to a boat shop and get a length of water ski rope which looks like synthetic rope to further add to the picture.;)

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Buy a broken one cheap off ebay and spruce it up cosmetically if you won't ever use it.

jgaylor

I have the X20 8000# Smitty; $349 at 4WP.
But the Warn VR series are fairly cheap too.

I bought a warn VR8000 to put it on the rear of the bronco, I have no regrets buying it and it has been every bit as good as the other Warn winches I have.
At $479 it is cheap, works great and has the same warn warranty.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Super winch 8500 on amazon for 299 free shipping....it's a good winch