• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to clean up 34 years of grease and oil?

meanwire

Loc.
Central Oregon
What is the best way to clean up 34 years of grease and oil underneath my undercarriage? Trying to clean up the excess grease and oil, been using Oil Eater but taking forever. Didn't know if any of you could recommend some products or methods to clean up this mess. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
bring about $20 worth of quarters and head to the local coin-op car wash
bring a scrubber brush too

68ford

Bronco Guru
diesel truck facility with a pressure washer that is also a steam cleaner. and pay them 1 hour labor, they will have a shop clean up kid do it or something. thats what we do for customers.

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
Look on the bright side...it's not rusting!! lol Steam cleaner works best..most car wash's have good pressure and heat and work good.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Oil Eater, Simple Green, Purple Power, etc. Let it soak, then use a pressure washer. Some guys will swear by Oven cleaner but I've never tried it. Degreaser and pressure washer seems to do the trick.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Scrape off all the thick stuff, and go to town with oven cleaner and a scrub brush. When your skin feels like it's going to melt, the oven cleaner is just starting to work on the grease... Don't let it dry on paint or you'll be repainting your rig... After oven cleaner I use plain old Dawn dish soap. Works like a champ.

Oh and wear some clothes you fully plan to throw away when your done.

Adarcy

I agree, but if you do rid it of the grease be sure to fluid film the hell out of it.

+1

I freakin coat my undercarraige with wd40 like 2x a year to slow the rust. If that was mine I'd maybe get a towel and wipe away most of it but at least leave a film...
Your choice though.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that pressure washing or steam cleaning will blow some of the grit and moisture inside of seals where it will be out of sight but not out of mine.

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
no pressure washer?? connect the hose to the hot side of the washing machine , degrease, hose off ---nossel will get hot!!! repeat, then youll have a mess to clean up in yard, carport, but it works..