• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best wheel width for 35x12.5 tires

tad3790

Hey all... I am looking at new tires and wheels (17") and noticing that many 17" wheels only come up to 8.5" wide... at least the ones that I have found that I like, anyway. I have found a few 9" options... Example is "Method Wheels"
I am looking at either Nitto Mud Grapplers or General Grabber. Both say 8.5" is ok.. but that is really the minimum spec..
Does anyone know how big of difference (once mounted) there really is in look and fit between a 8.5, 9 or 10" wide wheel? I am looking at 4.5-4.75 backspacing too. Just seems to be a bigger selection to choose from at 8.5" wide.. but I don't have the experience to say those will look much different than 9 or 10.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The end profile of the tire really depends on the tire, as they're not all the same. My 37" BFG's are pretty skinny compared to some of the other options out there, but I have them mounted on 17x9 beadlocks and they look good to me. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to run an 8.5" or even 8" wheel width since there's a lot of sidewall there to play with.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agree 8.5 is fine, as is 9. And with only a half of an inch between them, it's hard to say you could even tell the difference visually without a measuring device.

The biggest difference to the "look" of a combination, aside from the tires themselves as the others mentioned, is the offset/backspacing and wheel design. You can take two wheels of the exact same design and width, but make the offsets different enough and they would look completely different on the vehicle. Or off.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You could also consider many of the newer metric sized tires that would fit the rim better. Takes a little more work to figure what fits. But there are a lot of newer tire designs out there going that way.

68ford

Bronco Guru
In my opinion 12.50s look and drive the best on 8 in wheels. Very high end dezert race cars run them on 6in wide wheels and have good contact patch still. You will be fine, you're well in the ball park.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have 35x12.5 on both. 66 has em on 15x10. 72 has em on 15x8. Naturally the 10s give you a wider look. As far as pro/cons. The 10"rim will give you better on road handling with less sidewall flex. The 8" give you better off road performance and hold a bead better at lower psi.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
in my opinion 12.50s look and drive the best on 8 in wheels. Very high end dezert race cars run them on 6in wide wheels and have good contact patch still. You will be fine, you're well in the ball park.

x2.......

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have 35x12.5 on both. 66 has em on 15x10. 72 has em on 15x8. Naturally the 10s give you a wider look. As far as pro/cons. The 10"rim will give you better on road handling with less sidewall flex. The 8" give you better off road performance and hold a bead better at lower psi.

Gospel/\/\/\
I heard everybody talking but only SteveL nailed it down.

68ford

Bronco Guru
You really need to figure out the height you want to run then figure out back spacing. There is only one correct back spacing so you have correct kingpin inclination angle. Other wise you will have excessive scrub radius.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You could also consider many of the newer metric sized tires that would fit the rim better. Takes a little more work to figure what fits. But there are a lot of newer tire designs out there going that way.

BFG claims their 315/70r17 AT is 34.4 or 34.5 (depends on speed rating) by 12.7 inches.

They look great on 17 x 9 Mickey Thompson Classic III wheels.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I run 315/70R17's on H2 wheels (17 X 7.5 I think) on our CTD and 315/75R16's on 16 X 8's on the Bronc-up. Both look great and both are roughly 35 X12.50.

Used to be a "rule" that the wheel should be 2" narrower than the tread width. I don't think that works in all cases any more. I've seen 10.50's and 12.50's both mounted on 8's and when properly inflated they both looked fine.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I'd be more worried about the deep backspace causing limited turning radius if your using stock radius arms.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I think that's all relative. My Bronc-up with it's 130" wheel base and 315/75R16's on 4.5" Back-spaced 16X8's still turns tighter than my '84 Xcab Yota 4wd pick-up with it's 33-10.50's on 3.5" back-spaced 15X7's on a 112" wheel base. And neither turns worth a darn when locked up.

Broncmeister

Hey all... I am looking at new tires and wheels (17") and noticing that many 17" wheels only come up to 8.5" wide... at least the ones that I have found that I like, anyway. I have found a few 9" options... Example is "Method Wheels"
I am looking at either Nitto Mud Grapplers or General Grabber. Both say 8.5" is ok.. but that is really the minimum spec..
Does anyone know how big of difference (once mounted) there really is in look and fit between a 8.5, 9 or 10" wide wheel? I am looking at 4.5-4.75 backspacing too. Just seems to be a bigger selection to choose from at 8.5" wide.. but I don't have the experience to say those will look much different than 9 or 10.

I have Nitto Mud Grapplers in 35" X 12.5 X18
The wheels are KMC XD Badlands, 18" diameter, 9" width.