• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bleeding new break system

Steve72

This may be a silly question but I am completing a frame off restoration of a 72 Bronco and I can't get the breaks bleed.

I have coverted to disks in the front('76 Chevy), new wheel cylinders in the rear , new master cylinder and all new break lines. The equalizing valve is used but seems to be working properly.

I have "bleed" the breaks 3 times and the peddle is still spongy, goes to the floor and the breaks are not working worth a darn.

What is the trick to getting the breaks working?

Thanks in advance, Steve72

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
might try just cracking open the bleader screws and make sure you keep the resvoir full and let them drip until you get a steady stream of fluidcoming out start with the rear two and see if this helps. I like to attach a piece of vacume line to the screw and let it drain into a cup. this may take some time but it worked on my mustang that had the same symptoms.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have coverted to disks in the front('76 Chevy), new wheel cylinders in the rear , new master cylinder and all new break lines. The equalizing valve is used but seems to be working properly.

I have "bleed" the breaks 3 times and the peddle is still spongy, goes to the floor and the breaks are not working worth a darn.
Hmm.. Seems I remember reading about someone who installed the calipers on the opposite side. This causes the bleeder to not be at the top of the caliper for bleeding, and allowing air to remain in the caliper.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
What is the process with new wheel cylinders? Do they need to be bench bled? Did you bench bleed the master, I have installed new mc's before and didnt need to but others have had to.

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
I always bench bleed the mc because once you have it mounted there is always the chance for air to get trapped in there, (plus thats what dad always taught me to do). as for the wheel cylnders I dont think it is nessisary or even possable to bench bleed them. hope this helps KC

ugly74

Bronco abuser
are the shoes in the rear adjusted? that can make it feel like air in the lines too.

ontherun

Loc.
San Antonio
this worked for us.....take it to a place like Brake-check and let them pressure bleed them....it works...only cost $ 22.00 bucks...here in Texas...L

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Didn't I read something about a pin or needle valve on the proportioning valve that needs to be held open in order to bleed the brakes?

Chris B.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Check the rear shoe adjusters, i had mine installed backwards or switched left and right, so when i tried to adjust out i was actually going in. caused the same symptoms, i bled three times, before i figured it out.

Grant