• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Adhesive for radiator support and inner fender

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Can body panel adhesive be used for the radiator support and inner fenders?

Any downsides or concerns (engine/header heat)?

Any recommended brand of adhesive?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I would consider those pieces structural and not suitable for BPA. Unless you were complementing with steel (SS) rivets , but why not just go ahead and build it properly and spot weld the panels.

I suppose you could install rivnuts and use SS fasteners, but it's a lot of work.

BPA is good stuff for the right application, but something that the grill, fenders and hood attach to...well, I would consider it structural...in an accident you want it secure. Just my 0.02, may not be worth much.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Welding is the only safe way to attach a core support or apron. The wheel wells are not considered structural and can be panel bonded.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And no matter what method you use, either jumper the two panels together for a better grounding bond, or simply move the headlight/running light grounds to the main body for better performance.

Paul

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input. I didn't think the front core support was suitable for the panel adhesive - but was also hoping for an "easy" way out. Guess I'll zap it together.

I was planning on making the front assembly removable.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure panel adhesive, or anything like that is going to be any more "removable" than spot welds. Seems like it might be even more fiddly when it comes time to remove.
Then again, at least you won't have to drill it out into Swiss Cheese, so that's a bonus for the adhesive.

But if you're really thinking that you'd like to be able to more easily remove it in the future, then maybe the body panel tape or adhesive along with some rivets or bolts and nutserts isn't such a bad idea after all.
More work maybe, but if you're hoping for quicker removal in the future, or just not set up for spot welding, it might be an option after all.

Never done a core support myself though, so don't know what little pitfalls you might run into, or any downsides (strength-wise or reliability-wise) of an alternate method of fastening it to the skirts.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Not sure panel adhesive, or anything like that is going to be any more "removable" than spot welds. Seems like it might be even more fiddly when it comes time to remove.
Then again, at least you won't have to drill it out into Swiss Cheese, so that's a bonus for the adhesive.

But if you're really thinking that you'd like to be able to more easily remove it in the future, then maybe the body panel tape or adhesive along with some rivets or bolts and nutserts isn't such a bad idea after all.
More work maybe, but if you're hoping for quicker removal in the future, or just not set up for spot welding, it might be an option after all.

Never done a core support myself though, so don't know what little pitfalls you might run into, or any downsides (strength-wise or reliability-wise) of an alternate method of fastening it to the skirts.

Good luck.

Paul

I was thinking of adding bolts to the area where the "front clip" mounts up to the firewall wings - kick panels. I think there's a tech article - Bolt on front clip tech article

Yeah, I've drilled my fair share of spot welds, they're not really removable.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
The core support is actually bolted in. Only welds are the supports running to inner fenders. I have not problem bolting those in also. My inner fenders are riveted on with NASCAR style big headed pop rivets.