• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Bushings! HOW THE CRAP... (Update: need more washers!))

ransil

Bronco Guru
lube the sawzall blade so it slips on the rubber mount otherwise its going to just beat you up and bang you knuckles off everything.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Thanks for the insight and help, as always. More than anything, it's just how to get to some of the spaces. I have what they call "the fat hands." They match everything else.

Ransil: Good suggestion. Mythbusters credo: "When in doubt..........lubricate."

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
lube the sawzall blade so it slips on the rubber mount otherwise its going to just beat you up and bang you knuckles off everything.

you got that right i just helped someone with their lift a couple months ago. if you have an impact just break the bolt off. we were able to reuse the nut and square plate so didn't have a problem with the nut falling into the frame

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Behind / under passenger seat. Ground off bolt head. Jacked up the body. Now this is what I have. Very hard to get to with sawzall. Broken 3 blades. Not sure what to do to get this out.

7074488587_b0e52d5f51.jpg

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that's the same as we did this past weekend. Do you have air tools? I used an air hammer with a wide blade chisel, put between the bottom mounts and drove it out the front. It pulls the bolt through. Good luck, old body mounts are tough.

backpain

Bronco Guru
If I remember correctly, I was able to cut the bolt flush at the frame pad (ie significantly shortening what's left, set body back down and use a punch to get it out of the mount. If short enough that will let you take out the mount/sleeve/bolt in pieces from the frame mount . . with a pry bar, hammer and other massaging instruments

This all assumes it still has a nut on the other end - if not it gets much easier

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
that's the same as we did this past weekend. Do you have air tools? I used an air hammer with a wide blade chisel, put between the bottom mounts and drove it out the front. It pulls the bolt through. Good luck, old body mounts are tough.

NO air tools. Gonna run get a few more / better blades and try to cut it down and then see what happens.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would you by chance taken a picture of the whole thing taken out? I've been putting this job off because of these two bushings behind the seats. I would love a picture of the inside too because there are two bolts behind the seat on mine. I like to get to the right one.

Thanks,
Eugene

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Well, only one of my bolts would come out, even after spray PB on them for days. The passenger side one behind/under the seat was the biggest pain, and I couldn't figure out how to get my sawzall in there.

First I had to get the passenger seat out of the way. Then I ground down the bolt head.

6929103054_88f726b311.jpg

Then, I jacked up the body, using a cut 2x4 and a floor jack. As the body went higher, I put some 2x4 pieces between the body and the frame, just in case the jack failed.

Underneath, the top bushing came loose, but I needed to jack the body up more to get it over the bolt.

7075194417_1e7f2e5590.jpg

Once that was removed, I cut the bolt with the sawzall, as close to the "box" as possible. because the holes in the frame are fairly big, you can maneuver the the rest of the bolt and it's attached pieces out of the frame box. You might have to beat on it. I used a chisel and a hammer from the back, and it quickly popped out the front.

7075340629_c850cb12c2.jpg

When installing the new mounts, be sure to put tape over the hole in the frame that is inside this "box."

Does that help?

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those helped, thanks. When I first started looking at them, I couldn't figure out how they got a long ass bolt through the body brace. Now I understand that bolt goes from the top, inside. I'm still dreading on doing this but it's got to be done.

Eugene

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Passenger side one that is under the seat, is by far the most difficult. I've read several ways to do it, the easiest being lube, and it comes right out. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me.

ET - Let me know when you do it and how it goes.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Even if the bolts come out the stock bushings will not come out unless the sleeve is rusted away because the first time they are tightened the 2 heaves lock together. This is what I do. I turn the bolt until it comes out or breaks. Then I run a 5/8" hole saw into the hole and cut the lock. Jack the body up a little and remove the bushings. Quick, simple and easy. No fire or locked up saw blades and you know how I know.:)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I wish I'd seen Chucks advise back when I did mine... I'm like you I've mechaniced all my life. And this was one job that whipped my ass. I worked on mine for about 10 nights I believe. I did finally get all the bolts out.. Air and a Young very strong young man . He could not believe he could not at least break the bolts off. After we got the bolts out. Then we could not get the bushings out .. My Bronco was mostly apart in a redo .. So I tried to burn them out .. But it began to look like I was going to burn the Bronco down . So we put that fire out and gave up.. I put my one inch pucks on top of my stock bushings and called it 1 1/2 lift. Yes I did add new grade 8 bolts.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Passenger side one that is under the seat, is by far the most difficult. I've read several ways to do it, the easiest being lube, and it comes right out. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me.

ET - Let me know when you do it and how it goes.

I planned to this weekend but weathers is not cooperating so it's going to be next weekend. I'll take some pictures and give my 2 cents.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Even if the bolts come out the stock bushings will not come out unless the sleeve is rusted away because the first time they are tightened the 2 heaves lock together. This is what I do. I turn the bolt until it comes out or breaks. Then I run a 5/8" hole saw into the hole and cut the lock. Jack the body up a little and remove the bushings. Quick, simple and easy. No fire or locked up saw blades and you know how I know.:)

In all my searching, I must have missed the "hole saw" trick.

Hey Chuck, you products and knowledge are amazing! But, your timing kinda sucks. :p;);D