• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Bushings! HOW THE CRAP... (Update: need more washers!))

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Got all the body mounts out. Installed the new body mounts plus the WH 1" BL

But now, my doors don't close correctly. The space where the front door meets the fender (and the windshield) is way too small / tight. Not sure what's going on over on the passenger side. Everything else looks good.

1. Do I need some shims under / with the body mounts to level out the middle?

2. Why does the WH 1" BL look bigger than 1"?

Thanks!

-jim

backpain

Bronco Guru
Be ready to use some extra washers just like the new body mount washers -LARGE. You may have some fore/aftee and side/side massaging to do as well. It's a good time to work from front to back on panel gaps etc. - hood/fenders, doors, etc

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Even if the bolts come out the stock bushings will not come out unless the sleeve is rusted away because the first time they are tightened the 2 heaves lock together. This is what I do. I turn the bolt until it comes out or breaks. Then I run a 5/8" hole saw into the hole and cut the lock. Jack the body up a little and remove the bushings. Quick, simple and easy. No fire or locked up saw blades and you know how I know.:)

You use the hole saw from inside the vehicle pointing downwards? I gotta remember to try this.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Yes, after you get the bolt out or broken there is a 5/8" hole in the floor, if you can find it a 1/2" will do also. The bolt holds the body to the bushing but the stock body mount metel center is made of 2 parts that have 3 tabs that lock together when they are first tightened at the factory. So what you are really doing is cutting the tabs. Just takes a sec.:) I used to use a 5/8" drill bite and that works fine if the bolts come out but if the bolt breaks you have to drill the bolt also. But once I found the 5/8" hole saw life got a lot easier. The hole saw goes arounfd the bolt and just cuts the tabs. I have posted the tip 4-5 time over the last 10 years but got no responce. I am thinking maybe no one understood what I was saying so I gave more detail this time, hope it helps you'll

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
And you thought the hard part was getting the old mounts out!!! Now comes the real fun, the door alignment! I always tell guys to start with a large washer on top of every mount. Then add washers as needed to align doors. If you have to remove a washer its already there to remove. if you dont start with a washer on every mount then you have to add one to every other mount instead of just removing one.

And dont put there lock washers on the bolts. There way to much work getting on and off. Start and do the door alignment with normal nuts. It may take you a week to get them doors aligned right! Sorry!

kiteoregon

I just did this job this weekend, and yep it sucked. All of the passenger side broke off, all of the driver side just un-bolted. The one behind the passenger side to 75% of the time to get the old bushing removed. I found that taking the sawzall with a long metal blade and cutting as low on the bushing as possible worked out good.

Out of all the jobs so far, this one sucked the most, glad it's done.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Be ready to use some extra washers just like the new body mount washers -LARGE.

Where can I get more of these washers? WH is checking but not sure they sell JUST the large washers. Been to hardware stores and HD, Couldn't find the same size ones and the large ones that had, had a giant hole rather than one this just fits the bolts. I want to use Grade 8 to keep it all the same?

Anyone know where I can get more of these?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I should have gotten 8 extra washers when i did mine. I couldnt find them anyware either. I ended up making some from stainless, and made a few more that were double thick.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Dude if you don't have a grinder you better go get one! If you are gonna own an Early Bronco you better have one or both of two things. 1. The money to pay someone with the right tools to do the job for you or 2. you better invest in the tools to do the job. Basic hand tools, basic power tools and a welder are almost a must if you are gonna own one of these things.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Dude if you don't have a grinder you better go get one! If you are gonna own an Early Bronco you better have one or both of two things. 1. The money to pay someone with the right tools to do the job for you or 2. you better invest in the tools to do the job. Basic hand tools, basic power tools and a welder are almost a must if you are gonna own one of these things.

x100. Glad I have a grinder. Wish I had a compressor and welding gear (and knew how to weld).

jlong1974

Completely off topic, but I wanted to give thumbs up for the Alice's Restaurant reference in the very first post.:D

I agree replacing the original Bronco body bushings is a right of passage into true Bronco ownership.

James