• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body lean when cornering...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I finally got my Dana 44 and stone crusher steering put together. I also put in a set of 5.5" coil springs from BC Broncos. Steering is much tighter now and the ride with Chuck's springs is WAY more comfortable than with the "lifting rocks" that were in there before. Now that I have softer springs, I'm noticing a lot of body lean on corners on the street. I believe my 77 came factory with sway bars but they're gone now. I'm looking under the front end and am wondering where and how a sway bar would mount anyway. So where can I get one and how does it mount? On that note, I have the same questions about a rear sway bar as well.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
77's had sway bar on the front. There are several on Ebay right now, if you want to see what they look like. I had a spare but sold it to someone on this board.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Progressive coils have less tendacy to do this in corners because the spring rate increases when they are compressed. I know that doesn't help you now but thought it would be worth mentioning for others that happen upon this post.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Dual shocks would help the body roll on the street. You either need a stiffer (not great) coil spring or more control from shocks and correct shock valving. If you use the original style sway bar, you will limit suspension travel and use.

Good Luck

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Raise the trackbar height on the axle, put some high pressure monotube shocks on it (Bilsteins, IAS's) or fab a sway bar.

I would put a sway bar with disconnects on it, and I would also mount it to the frame rather than the axle. I was measuring the other day and I think a early 90's Wrangler bar is very close to the desired width on the frame. I'll probably attempt this sometime in the near future, but I still have other projects like my Hydroboost install or getting my GPW running.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Has anyone looked into the Curries AntiRock Sway Bar? I read an article that said they can be made for custom applications such as buggies so it seems logical we could rig it to fit on a bronco. If I read it correctly it would also stay in place while wheelin and help keep your truck level if you had a tire drop into a hole suddenly. AntiRock Sway Bars

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Slow down in the turns and learn to live with it. That's how I do it. Rock crawlers do not carve corners.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Sway is controled by shocks. If you have rancho 99000's turn them up. You will be amazed at the diff.
If you have the poly C bushings the front sway bar is useless.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
chuck said:
Sway is controled by shocks. If you have rancho 99000's turn them up. You will be amazed at the diff.
i second what chuck said. a friend was following me a while back and said my bronco looked like a slinky the body roll was so bad (yes im running chucks awsome springs) i had the shocks adjusted really soft from a wheeling trip and forgot to put them back afterwards. well after i stiffened the shocks up (i think they are set at 6 or 7 now) the body roll isnt any worse than it was when stock

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
you really have to expect more body roll with a big lift. what makes a good crawler makes a bad cornerer. when i was playing with vws, the thing to do was make the suspension really stiff to get great handling. the more bone jarring the ride, apparetently, the better the road holding. most guys here want a soft ride with lots of articulation.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Since I too have Chuck's springs I wonder what the outcome of putting a sway bar on front and rear will be. Mine is a dialy driver with light trail usage. No crawlin here.

Big Nuf

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I'm running B.C. 5.5's up front with 5000's and sway bar. It does pretty good. It's a white nuckle ride without the sway bar at 70 mph. Winch doesn't help matters. I guess I need to buy "winch rated" springs.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The rear sway bar will work. The front one works with the rubber C bushings but the poly bushings are soo stiff that you will not notice any diff. The stock sway bar is mounted to the axle and the radius arms. It doesn't go to the frame at all. So the only thing it can effect is the C bushings. The rear bar goes to the frame so will dampen body roll.
PS we run my 4.5" coils and leafs on the racer with King shocks. no sway bar and have no body roll problems. Sometimes we run at 80+ on bad dirt roads.

OP
OP
M

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
It sounds like shocks and a rear swaybar are the answer for me. So which shocks would work best for my rig? The Bilsteins, IAS's or the Rancho 99000's or the newer RSX reflex shocks? Besides Chuck's 5.5" coils, I also have a set of rear spring rocker perches. The truck has a winch and 35X12.50X15 BFG's.

Last edited: