• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body shops

Jakedog

Just venting. I had a local body shop in mind for my body and paint work, and I had already talked to them about doing the work right before the covid lockdown.
I decided to postpone things until after the lockdown. The shop has been in business here for 50 years. Still family owned.
Now that everything is pretty much back to normal I went ahead and contacted them again.
Just my luck!! They just sold the business and will no longer be doing restore type work. Only newer vehicle repairs. My Bronco is too old to be worked on.
Now I need to find another shop that will do the work.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
bummer man! i hear more and more shops are going this route. quick insurance repairs and easy money

Kalex

Contributor
Was hit by another driver and needed some minor work done myself. Not familiar with any shops in this area so I took to internet ratings, presence, etc.. to locate a few to go visit to see about the potential. One of the higher rated shops I went to the owner was there and much to my joy an old Bronco waiting to be painted and put back together. No such luck! The old Bronco belonged to his brother-in-law and the only reason is he is doing it. His exact words "I do 2,000 dollars a pop Prius bumpers seven days a week if I want to". Nice guy, but that was the end of that.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear you, I just did this today . I got fed up with trying to find anyone that wanted to do it. If they do they want 25k! I decided to give it a try myself. First time and learned a lot but came out OK. I bought an inflatable paint booth to make it easier.

Attachments

• body paint.jpeg
    body paint.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 59
  • bronco booth.jpeg
    bronco booth.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 58
  • paint booth.jpeg
    paint booth.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 57

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
Im about to start painting my own, Id rather have a 20 foot paint job and be done than have three vehicles waiting to be painted (Like I do now).

Mark1911

I had Chris at VIP auto body do all the metal work and paint on my 71, she came out absolutely perfect.
They are in Chatsworth CA.
Unfortunately most all body shops are about the money.

Mark

Lt1Burb

I hear you, I just did this today . I got fed up with trying to find anyone that wanted to do it. If they do they want 25k! I decided to give it a try myself. First time and learned a lot but came out OK. I bought an inflatable paint booth to make it easier.
How do you like the paint booth, is there enough room to walk around and spray comfortably.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And now that you are done (with this one at least) are you going to sell the booth, or rent it out perhaps?

Mark1911

I have never knew something like that existed, super cool. Your bronco looks to have come out perfect.

Mark

hummerdan

I had Chris at VIP auto body do all the metal work and paint on my 71, she came out absolutely perfect.
They are in Chatsworth CA.
Unfortunately most all body shops are about the money.

Mark
If you don’t mind me asking what is VIP charging for body and paint these days?

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

The bodywork is what I'm not willing to do myself. I need the driver side lower quarter, driver strike post or b pillar, and driver rocker panel replaced. After that it's paint and bumpers, and little stuff like a stereo.

I can't believe I have owned this one 7 years already.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
What booth did you buy and from where?

Mark1911

If you don’t mind me asking what is VIP charging for body and paint these days?
I paid 23k
That included all the metal work, as we are all aware, not one aftermarket fender or replacement panel fit correct and all needed massaging, he also repaired the top and painted it, did the white grill and FORD Letters on tailgate in white, painted Ididit steering column in white and dash and added the Ranger trim (which was a pain I’m sure) still all got n all I am very happy with the end result.
I almost wanted to just replace the whole tub but Chris talked me out of it.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And now that you are done (with this one at least) are you going to sell the booth, or rent it out perhaps?
I kind of wrote it off to the cost of this one since paint would have been a lot more. If I get a few more uses out of it that is a bonus. I will hang on to it and store it at my business warehouse. They come in a fairly small box but trying to get it that small again is impossible!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I kind of wrote it off to the cost of this one since paint would have been a lot more. If I get a few more uses out of it that is a bonus. I will hang on to it and store it at my business warehouse. They come in a fairly small box but trying to get it that small again is impossible!

lol use it till you can't no more sir