• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bout to burn a bucking bronco!!

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Ok but if so I thought each spring eye used different size bolts...or are they the same? I really don't wanna do all this crap again. You can see the before pic and after pic with this bronco's springs. Like I said, there is another bronco here with them the same way

The spring eyes use the same size bolts, the shackle to frame uses a smaller bolt.

Are you using yours as an example or what?I am by no means an expert on rear springs but how are you certain yours are right?Mine work fine but now you are making me second guess my original setup.

Yes, I'm using mine as an example. And two others, all have different brand springs. Mine are Deavers, double wrap up front, center of spring at bushing level, goes towards the shackle. The other two Wildhorses springs. Same position as mine. Third one, Alcan springs. Double wrap F&R. He had these on backwards for several years, ended up digging in to his shackles on some technical trails.

I'm no expert myself. I'm going by my own experience. Someone else will eventually comment to assure you guys, or say I'm completely wrong.

Mark

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ok with what your saying...doesnt apply here. after markets springs are like that. stocks are opposite...im almost positive

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i messaged Paul(here's the guy who responded to Broncow in another thread) this is Broncow's bronco im working on.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
OK, I didn't realize that about stock springs. It's been a long time since I've had them on mine.

Mark

no problem, trust me...its been a long while since i messed with stock anything. but i hope some other shed light on this. thanks again

clarrance

Bronco Guru
My springs are mounted just like the way you mounted them in your pictures. I pretty sure this is correct for factory springs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't use aftermarket springs as an example unfortunately, so in this case I'll disagree with garberz (probably first time ever!).
The "Berlin eye" as it comes from Ford is to the front spring hanger. Just as you have it. So they are in correct as far as I'm concerned.
Aftermarket springs with double-wrap eyes always trump whatever other design characteristics are built into the main leaf by needing to be mounted to the frame hanger and not the shackle end. So if there is a berlin eye at the other end, well, in these cases they end up at the shackle end by default.

As mentioned too though, those springs are completely shot and laying flat on their "overload" leaves. The bottom super thick leaf usually has quite the gap at the outer ends, and yours are flat. This alone could cause the issue, and with blocks adding more leverage, they're a recipe for wrap.
Normally, with even the modest cure of the short traction bars, that should not be an issue. But it's possible that the combination of weak springs and blocks is overcoming even the traction bars.

Notice the main leaf is also bent from torque and/or stress points? There's a gap between leaves 1 and 2, which looks like stress from twisting (could be just from old age, as they twist all the time) to me.

That's all just guesswork though. From reading the thread though, I would have sworn it was more of a clutch issue than anything else. Whenever that's happened in a rig in my experience, it was always the clutch.
Not sure you completely ruled it out with the front shaft excursion, but that's a pretty good test and might be enough to point out the culprit.
Any way to rigidly mount the old traction bars for a quick test? Or not... ;)

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
thanks Paul, as for the " ladder bars", they made a quick trip to the scrapper!!! total POS design. now as for the springs...i did mention, the truck sits lower now. maybe the 1" extra lift he had before allowed the drive shaft to work with out binding. now with it lower, the shaft is compressed and binding. keep in mind with everything done so far(burnt clutch, new clutch,springs,axle, etc) the truck never bucked until these spring were installed with axle housing...so im thinking lower stance is causing this

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a pic of the driveshaft (rear pinion angle) from directly on the side? The one you have is slightly angled up and it's hard to tell it's angle.

Also, how tight to you tighten the u-bolts on the u-joints? Seems like you've done this before, but because they're something real light, like 7 to 10 lbs maybe(?) going too tight might bind the u-joints and just make a bad thing worse.

Just grasping at straws here of course, but hey, it beats listening you try to come up with excuses for your friend why his Bronco burned to the ground while under your care!;D

Paul

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
well, its funny you ask about ubolts...these were all done and tight a month ago. but i told him(owner) i didnt like the tiny crappy nylock nuts that came with the "heavy duty ubolts" as installing the traction bars, i found most of them backed off! those are tight now, but i will be replacing them with actual ubolts nuts,washers,and lock washers. as for the u-straps...i made sure they weren't too tight. ive actually done that before.

i wonder, if owner bought 3.5" add-a-leaf could we remove blocks and reuse the traction bars too? i know add-a-leafs are not the best...but i know owner has dump money here, and new springs im sure are not in the budget... i cant help but keep thinking about the drive shaft...even if the truck was stock, then lifted a couple inches...most people dont even bother lengthening the shaft. also, when i checked(what i believe is a stock spare for mine) it was the exact same length...ugh im really trying to figure this out mentally. i wont be working on it anymore tonight, but might try tomorrow again.

edit: corrected were with weren't

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i can get better pic tomorrow Paul...pouring outside now and for the last few hours

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While an add-a-leaf isn't the best solution for most, it might actually help the rig ride better. Yeah, I know that sounds wrong, but springs that are that sacked out often are also harsher riding due to the ends of each individual leaf having dug into the leaf above it and sort of taking a "set" in place.
With the add-a-leaf changing the whole arch of the leaf pack, those leaves are no longer caught in the grooves initially.
So while the pack is now "stiffer" due to the extra leaf and higher arch, they may actually ride "less harshly" due to the same change.

That's what I experienced with mine, and they were nowhere near as bagged as the ones in the pic.
Might not be a bad idea...

Paul

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
bart, i can take off in 4 hi(no rear shaft) and the problem is gone, i can take off without any bucking.

Bronco Biff

Contributor
...just posted this on CB! Try giving some preload (pushing pinion up) with the duff's bars moving the bar back, loosen front bolt, tighten back. Jack up to add some droop to make it easier. Add a leaf would definitely help with the axel wrap.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ok, im still about to pull whatever hair i have left OUT. my spare shaft has a tube length of 18" and his shaft had 20". so i was able to install mine in his truck with about 1-1.5" of slip available. took it for a drive and the bucking is still there! so i dont think its the driveshaft binding. i did try 4lo and i can launch the truck! i can spin the tires, 4lo is giving me the mechanical advantage...3sp with stock gears and 32" tires might be hurting me some. so im leaning towards the flywheel again. the clutch shouldnt be the issue. its a 3 finger, but all broncos can that way.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
And every 3 finger clutch Bronco that I've driven had some kind of clutch chatter.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
good to know...id hate to tell the guy to buy yet another pressure plate too. he's going to get a new flywheel here soon. if i can get someone to come by, ill try to post a couple vids of the bucking.

here's something odd too...laid a tape measure beside the bronco and i keep coming up with about 91.2-92" wb, eb's should be 93". i did the same to two other broncos here and got 93". i just cant figure out why his is shorter, might explain why a stock shaft is too tight