• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake light power help please!

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
I have power to the brake light switch both side when depressed (so the brake light switch works fine). But no power to the brake lights. Both turn signals work fine keep in mind.

I have a new headlight switch already installed. From reading past posts the wiring in the steering column is always suspect.

I pulled the steering wheel and didn't see loose wires or anything like that. But is was unclear to me how to remove the plate the turn signal switch is attached to. Would I want to pull the turn signal switch and the plate the turn signal switch is attached to? If so what should I be looking for behind that?

I'm guessing I have a short in the column somewhere because if I hardwire a wire from the brakelight switch directly to the turn signal wires the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed, but when I flip on the turn signals the brakelight wire overrides the pulsing turn signal and it's just solid light when the brake is depressed.

Would the issue be in the column then somewhere? Between the brakelight switch and the turn signal switch If im not mistaken is this where the power from the brakelight switch is spliced into the Yellow and black stripped wire to the left lamp and the green wire to the right lamp? From what I understand the power to the brake lights flows through the turn signal wires it just runs off a different circuit correct?

I'm guessing the wires between the turn signal switch and the light itself are good or my turn signals would not work then correct?

Any help on what to look for or how to pull the turn signal switch plate and what to inspect back there would be helpful.

I'm almost considering installing after-market brake lights from the parts store since I can at least get power from the brake light switch. But that is a not desirable look. Plus it's annoying me and I want to learn how to fix it right.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience with a new bronco owner who's learning as he goes.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The problem is in the turn signal switch where the wire contacts are. You need to replace the switch. As I recall there are several screws that hold the plate down. You also have to unscrew the turn signal stalk.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Before tearing into it, try jacking the hazard switch back & forth several times. Sometimes its contacts get dirty, and working the button can clean them. If it works, at least you'll know what to buy when it goes out again, or you'll be able to keep driving while you order the part. But I've had them last years after that "repair".

OP
OP
P

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Thank you Viperwolf

Hi Viperwolf

It was the turn signal switch like you said. I replaced it today and now I have functional brake lights!

Thank you!

Paul