• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake Light Problem

Miinin67

Hey guys having an issue with Break lights, I replaced the Break light switch. Breaks work now great without the light truned on. After I trun the light on the driver side light stays lite. I am totaly boggled, Any suggestions would help out greatly

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you have an issue like this with dual-filament bulbs, it's almost always a bad grounding issue.
With the lights on and all, take an extra wire from the housing to the body and see if it changes things.
It's possible that it's a bad socket, or bulb, or something else, but I bet it's a ground issue.
IF I'm reading what you said right that is.

Paul

Willie

Loc.
Austin Texas
First off, I would agree to check for GND problems, but I had the same problem with my front turn signals. They worked fine till I turned on the lights, then they just stayed on. I reversed the wires to the turn signal and all is well. Seems I had connected the parking lights wire to the large filament and the signal wire to the small filament, it has to be the other way. A Centech wire harness mistake on my part. Dual filament bulbs are great, when there hooked up right

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Willie said:
Seems I had connected the parking lights wire to the large filament and the signal wire to the small filament, it has to be the other way. A Centech wire harness mistake on my part.

Hah! Yeah, I was sure that's what I did to the Bronco I was working on too! I checked, double-checked, measured twice and cut once. Hooked everything up according to the instructions, and was still sure I'd done it backwards when they didn't work right. But in this case it turned out that the front grille was painted a little too well and the bolts were not enough to ground it properly. I had wondered why the P.O. had added a ground wire to one turn signal when it looked like the original one was perfectly good still. Now I know. Only I had to ground both of them separately to make them work properly.
Oh well, extra fun for me.

Paul

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
half the electrical stuff on mine had probems until I took every ground off, wire brushed the wire end and surface and put it back together with no-ox electrical grease on it. That cured it all

OP
OP
M

Miinin67

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just placed an order for a Painless Harness. Just going to redo the wiring completely. I found more problems after poking around. Thanks agian for the suggestions