• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake light switch replace

Ochretoe8

Preface by saying all of my manuals and Bronco books burned in a house fire a while back. Having said that, now that I got my Bronco running after three years, the break lights do not work. All the other lights work as they should. I have replace bulbs and checked grounds both on the frame and behind each light housing. I took a quick look at the brake light switch and wires are on it. It looks pretty sketchy. Plastic is cracked up and it is very loose. I will check voltage, but if it needs replaced, does anyone have a link to a writeup on swapping it out before I just start tearing crap up? Thanks

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The brake light switch is pretty easy its just a through switch power in through the switch and out to the brake light circut. On mine the wires are on a plug. Just unplug. Then on the side of the peddal assy the switch is mounted by a cotter pin like spring clip. Pull that clip out and slide the switch off the side half way and then pull off the mounting post. Reverse to assemble.

suckerpunched

if you want diagnose it positively. unplug the two wires from the switch and jump them together with a jumper wire. brake lights should come on.

OP
OP
O

Ochretoe8

Got it figured out. Some funky wiring block on the brake light switch. Pulled the block and rewired in a new switch and all is good. Thanks everyone for the help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI if the turn signal and hazard flashers work as they should, then there is no reason to change bulbs, sockets, check grounds, or even any wiring after the turn signal switch.

Because they're all working from the same wiring and bulb filaments after the switch, then the fault could only have been the turn signal switch itself, or the brake light switch, or some of the wiring in-between.

Glad you got it fixed! Those brake light switches were always strange to me, but for some reason they actually work very well most of the time. And once you get how they're mounted, it's really just a few minute job to replace them when they do finally go bad.
I wonder what happened that the PO made the changes?
No matter though, as long as it works now for you.

Paul

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
if you want diagnose it positively. unplug the two wires from the switch and jump them together with a jumper wire. brake lights should come on.
This worked for me. Brake lights came on so I replaced my switch the exact same way as described in an earlier post in this thread. It was a super easy 10 minute job. Thanks for the help!