• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake light switch

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm converting my brake light switch on my 66 from the original pressure switch (Originally Mounted to Master Cylinder) to the later style that is mounted on the brake pedal. I believe I need a brake rod with a flat end on it like the one in the photo to activate the switch. Is that correct? I was planning on reusing the old rod but it is round on the back end instead of flat. Am I correct that the flat part of the brake rod is what contacts and actuates the pedal mounted switch?

Attachments

• images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    1.1 KB · Views: 141

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i got that rod and the switch but i got no idea how the switch hooks up. Ill be following this thread till the end!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188108&highlight=brake+light+switch

Edit:

I looked at the drawing Viperwolf1 posted again, and I do see a difference. My stoplight switch has the connections on the opposite side, and the wiring plug is long since gone. Is that wiring plug, being on the pedal side of the switch, supposed to keep the stoplight switch from rotating? This might make sense if bmc69's theory is correct. Maybe I'll do some playing when I get home!!!

Do i need that plug? Mine are just 2 spade termanals!

looking at that diagram my switch looks like the termanls come off the wrong side!

Last edited:
OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
i got that rod and the switch but i got no idea how the switch hooks up. Ill be following this thread till the end!

The switch goes over the end of the rod where it attaches to the brake pedal. I have two others that both have the switch mounted at the pedal and they both have the flat ended brake rod. The main concern I have is that the round ended rod I currently have on this is not going to trigger switch.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
How did I no find that thread in my search? I guess I do need the flat spot. I'm actually not using on original Bronco switch, I'm using a later ford truck switch and the wires and plug are oriented a bit different. I'll post some pics when I get it all installed.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya post something back up. I can always flip the switch over but like the other guy said it seems to just rotate without the plug. It worked when i bought the truck i thought. Is there a better switch to use?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Any 66-77 Bronco switch will be correct, not one for a pickup 73-79. They may look the same even for a Mustang, but subtle differences. Don't forget a new bushing that goes with it. Probably the reason it doesn't stay put.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Any 66-77 Bronco switch will be correct, not one for a pickup 73-79. They may look the same even for a Mustang, but subtle differences. Don't forget a new bushing that goes with it. Probably the reason it doesn't stay put.

Richard,

Are you thinking the truck switch I have is not going to work? The only difference I can see between the two is the location of the wire plug. I picked up this one because of the availability. I have always had to order the bronco switch in where the truck switch is always instock at the parts store.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Going off my feeble memory, but don't think the truck switch will work. Matter of fact, never got the Bronco switch to work on the 66. That was the reason I put it back on master cylinder. Most recently, was replacing the one on son's 66 Mustang and tried to use it there with no results. It would fit, looked the same, but brake lights would stay on. The one I had with plug pointing the opposite way didn't allow the plug to fit. And that bushing is critical to get the thing working correctly. It makes up the difference in size of the hole in switch where it mounts, keeping it inline and not allowing it to swing up and down. Ford used that style of switch on other models of that year, but for some reason, put the pressure style switch on the Bronco. Who knows, they did a lot of strange things.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
JMO the hydraulic switch is a lot better. I went through the mechanical type switches very fast on more than one vehicle. I converted to the hydraulic switch and have had way better luck. For me they last years not weeks like the mechanical ones.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
So is the wire plug a important part of the switch? Does it keep the switch from rotating? Can i just have wires going to the terminals without the fancy plug?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had nothing but trouble trying to get the later eb switch to work right on our 66. I ended up using a 79 bronco switch. Just had to build a bracket with a piece of L metal.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
The only reason I was changing to the pedal mounted switch is because I wanted to clean things up under the hood. I'm going to try the brake pedal switch and see how it works but I'll keep the pressure switch in place for now. If it turns out to be a problem I can revert back to that. The 78-79 Bronco switch is another option ( I have a couple on hand ) but I believe the switch works opposite of the Bronco switch. It is closed when the switch is depressed where the early bronco switch is closed until the switch is depressed. I'll have to do a little experimenting with the ohm meter to see if I can make it function correctly.

bjack

I just did mine on my 66 yesterday and it still doesn't work. I think I'm just going to put a pressure switch on it.

bigjhoov

nobody
You won't be able to use a later style switch with the '66 pedal, the mounting stud is different. I messed around with spacers and other stuff to try to make it work and eventually switched out the whole pedal to make it work. Never had any other issues than that.