• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake lights stuck on

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I just drove the bronco for the first time this spring. Amazing how fun my bronco is. Anyway, I picked up the grandson from school and came home. Once parked in the garage I notice the brake lights are stuck on. Tried tapping them, checked e-brake wasn't on. Started and stopped the engine, tried headlights on/off. Nothing worked. Any suggestions on where to check?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First suspect with this is always the brake light switch at the top of the pedal arm under the dash.
Either it's out of adjustment (which isn't really adjustable) or failed and needs to be replaced.

I suppose you could test the theory by pulling the plug. If the lights go out then you know it's not some kind of short circuit after the switch.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and it's normal for them not to go out with the key. They're independent and get their power directly from the headlight switch, which gets it's power directly from the main power wire from the battery. Which means they're ready to go whether the key is on or not.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and did you actually pull up on the brake pedal, or just tap it?
Might make the difference. But if it's doing this, it's likely time for another switch.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Oh, and did you actually pull up on the brake pedal, or just tap it?
Might make the difference. But if it's doing this, it's likely time for another switch.

Paul

lots of options there.. lol

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You guys are awesome...

Gonna go try these out now, thanks for the ideas.

Broncomt

Totally amazing how something was working perfectly last fall when you parked it and now it's not working properly. Gremlins? I'm sure it'll be an easy fix.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Totally amazing how something was working perfectly last fall when you parked it and now it's not working properly. Gremlins? I'm sure it'll be an easy fix.

I'm thinking more like can-o-worms on the easy fix, but we shall see. I don't know yet because while I was posting the thread my husband disconnected the battery cable. Now I'm too lazy to try anything tonight ;)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is it an earlier model? I think 66/67 had a pressure switch in the engine compartment. On our 66 I switched it to the later style switch on the pedal when I upgraded to power disc. Had constant problems trying to make later switch work on the older pedal. They were sticking on. Since then I swapped it to a 78 and later switch mounted on an L-bracket and it's better.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm thinking more like can-o-worms on the easy fix, but we shall see. I don't know yet because while I was posting the thread my husband disconnected the battery cable. Now I'm too lazy to try anything tonight ;)
LOL, we can always hope for the easy fix right.. Good luck

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
My 77 did the same thing a few years back, worked fine one day and stuck the next. I guess almost 40 years was all it could do. ;D

Just replaced the switch, easy fix. Good luck.

Juiceman

Contributor
My 77 did the same thing a few years back, worked fine one day and stuck the next. I guess almost 40 years was all it could do. ;D

Just replaced the switch, easy fix. Good luck.

Same here. One day just stopped working. Replaced switch. Very easy fix.