• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake problems

Dsquared

Loc.
South Boston, Va
I have a brake booster kit from Duff. The master cylinder has begun leaking around the bore. I've tried to find another master cylinder like what came on the kit and I'm having trouble. Does it matter what master cylinder I put back on that booster?? ?:?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Real auto parts stores have catalogs that list casting numbers. There should be a casting number on the bottom of the master cylinder. You can probably see it with a mirror. Write down the number, note the side the lines are connected to, and measure the diameter if it is off or call Duff and ask them what the bore is. A good counter person at the auto parts store can match it up for you.

Buy a new one. Some repair manuals say that honing a cylinder reduces life. It allows the piston and seals to move around more and wears out the seals sooner. I have never owned a rebuilt master cylinder. Flush your brake system before you take off the old MC.

OP
OP
D

Dsquared

Loc.
South Boston, Va
Talked with Duff, they weren't specific. Said it came from an early model chevy. Also said a good parts man should be able to find it from the cast #. Talked to a guy at work that used to be in that business and he knows how to track down a part. Think I'm close to getting it worked out. Thanks for the help.