• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake system air induction; was: Odd HydroBoost (?) Problem

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
UPDATE.

Gravity bleed at 335 miles this evening yielded a 40 count with no bubbles. Then I got some, but I was manipulating the bleed screw so it could have come thru the threads. The pedal hasn't changed since the previous bleeding, which is a change as in previous cycles it would have lost the rears ~50-75 miles ago. Drove it after the bleeding this evening and the pedal is still the same, supports my thinking that those bubbles were due to wiggling the bleed screw.

Going to push it on out to 500 miles and the try bleeding it again. Feels like I've turned a corner on this.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
UPDATE.

Gravity bleed at 335 miles this evening yielded a 40 count with no bubbles. Then I got some, but I was manipulating the bleed screw so it could have come thru the threads. The pedal hasn't changed since the previous bleeding, which is a change as in previous cycles it would have lost the rears ~50-75 miles ago. Drove it after the bleeding this evening and the pedal is still the same, supports my thinking that those bubbles were due to wiggling the bleed screw.

Going to push it on out to 500 miles and the try bleeding it again. Feels like I've turned a corner on this.
I be shocked if it’s not fixed and I reco doing a victory dance and enjoying a beverage of choice. Nice work!

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I've thought that I had it before, so I'm going to make it prove itself for longer before the victory dance.

I was asked back-channel "why not just use a m/c that doesn't have that thing on the side of it?" and the reason is that this is the OEM application m/c,, not something odd from some other vehicle that I won't remember in 3-5 years. FWIW one of my co-workers has a '67 F-250 cab on an '89 F-350 chassis. He transplanted all of the operating parts from the '89 onto the '67 cab. The whole m/c-booster assembly is the '89 application. I noticed when he was showing off the partially completed MicroSquirt based EFI conversion on the 300-6 (TFI dist. run bby the MS) that the '89's m/c was cast iron, but had this same RPV assembly screwed into the side of it. I can not recall having ever noticed this before.

The Valiant was a "Bitsa". Parts were a bit of this and a bit of that. It gets old when you need a part that you've already had to figure out what works, only now you can't recall what it's OE application was. I ended up starting a binder on the car to document what each part was.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
All of mine have one of those binders….. the j truck actually has the least but have had to figure out what they used since many parts listings do not list it, but a ford, Chevy or dodge used the same part. Hopefully you have this licked, fighting brake problems sucks.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
UPDATE.

I would guess the bubbles were induced by you at the bleeder screw. 40 pumps is a lot of fluid moved. I think you nailed it.

OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
No, no, not 40 pumps. 40 count, as-in "one thousand one, one thousand two.... " I was gravity bleeding it and wanted some idea of how long I left it cracked open. That the bubbles didn't appear until shortly after moving the bleeder, and that the pedal is good and hasn't changed makes me think it those bubbles came thru the bleed screw threads too.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
No, no, not 40 pumps. 40 count, as-in "one thousand one, one thousand two.... " I was gravity bleeding it and wanted some idea of how long I left it cracked open. That the bubbles didn't appear until shortly after moving the bleeder, and that the pedal is good and hasn't changed makes me think it those bubbles came thru the bleed screw threads too.
Ahh gotcha. I still agree though that you probably induced the bubbles at the bleeder.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Definitely doesn't matter if the parts are mismatched ... at all. We all do & know it :) . We all keep a book, some have books with more pages than others but if you haven't written the book and made 2 copies then we are inviting trouble somewhere down the road.

Put the best ingredients in the pizza.

Thanks for the reminder TS, I need to add another couple chapters... I am way behind

Last edited:
OP
OP
ntsqd

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The book for the dune buggy was a 5 topic spiral bound binder. That was the method that we used for the vintage race cars at VRS.

The book for the Valiant was an Excel spreadsheet. Tabs for each system, way easier. New owner wasn't sure what to make of that, but hopefully it will save him some grief at some point.

I should probably start such a file on Snowball.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm sure with your background you've written a LOT of books! :) I always marvel about how varied the careers and backgrounds are of so many here.

I think I just re-write the same book over and over and never finish it!! I'm one of THOSE authors! LOL

Keep the chapters coming...