• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Breaking in Gears

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
Although not Eb specific, I have a question about breaking in gears. I was reading a magizine article on the subject, and it was warning on the mileage limitations on brand new gears. They warned that one risked damage if one put too many miles on them to quick. My queston is- Why are there no limitations that dealers or manufacturers place on new trucks or cars? ?:? I had my mine replaced and I never recieved a warning. Is this true?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
red67 said:
Although not Eb specific, I have a question about breaking in gears. I was reading a magizine article on the subject, and it was warning on the mileage limitations on brand new gears. They warned that one risked damage if one put too many miles on them to quick. My queston is- Why are there no limitations that dealers or manufacturers place on new trucks or cars? ?:? I had my mine replaced and I never recieved a warning. Is this true?
The last new car I purchased went over the break in period and the requirements during that time. They are geared more towards protecting the motor which is more susceptable to problems if it isn't broken in right. People also usually do not go out right away with a new car and drive it hard. I'm not sure which article you are looking at but the biggest concern is the gears wearing in before the teeth set from heat. Because of this you want to stop frequently when they are first installed to give them time to cool down and to keep them from getting really hot. In reality this is best practice since I've seen many gears installed that were abused right away without problems. I did so with the gears in my rearend (I installed them one day and played in the mud the next). Granted when I am out playing we stop frequently though so I doubt that they got really hot that day. I did have them wound up pretty good a few times though flinging mud when it was buried to the frame.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
red67 said:
When I had mine installed, they said I had to wear off the special coating on the gears that's there to prevent rust. It's possible that automakers don't get that coating since they know they will use them quickly so they are less likely to rust on the shelf.
Tom

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I was always taught the heating/cooling...driving/stopping....was to finish the hardening process in the gear teeth. I do the initial run on the stands before the truck is given back to the owner....

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I look at it like wearing in a cam. take it around the block a few times easy let it cool and then normal driving should be ok. the big thing I have always heard stressed was towing. you could probably classify abuse with towing so just when you do beat on them a little the first few times let the rear cool for awhile. I always tell people to check them after a few weeks to make sure they aren't discolored or anything and no metal shavings. but, I tend to over check things some times..........