• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken Auto Column Collar

Lawndart

Loc.
Need some assistance. My auto selector has been sloppy for the last 60k miles ;D
Seemed to be a little sloppier after waking her up from winter this year. Popped around on the forums and ordered a selector plate. Thought it would be an easy night. Well, the pot-metal collar is broken and probably had been since the 80s.

50066578373_852f52223a_z.jpg

I can get a collar locally. However a couple questions -

1) How in the h-h-h-heck do I get the turn signal/horn harness out so I may remove the collar? I unplugged the connector(s) from under the dash, but the connector "heads" do not appear (at first glance) they are willing to slide through the column.

2) Anything else I should quickly replace while in there. I am not looking for a rebuild as this is my daily between road salting and want to enjoy it am much as possible. Read - not complete column rebuilds.

Thank you,
LawnDart

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You have to take the electrical connector apart. Every wire gets unclipped from the plastic and comes out that way.

You have an original '73 column. You can't get that exact shift collar anymore. But what you can do is carefully cut the shark fin off that old broken collar and graft it onto the new collar. That will keep the look of the original '73. Which I happen to think is the better looking shift collar even through it isn't illuminated in the shadow box like the newer ones. It really is the better looking one. Too many people just cheap out and stick a late pointer on the late collar and it works, it just is lacking the detail that was put into it in the first place. Do it right, even if it isn't the easy way out.

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
Thanks for reply.
Crap. So, I will need to unhook the socket or pinned end from the connector with the pin or socket intact and later re-insert after reassembly - without cutting the wire? If so, I have plenty of insert/extract tools.
Grafting - so, dremel and epoxy? Basically, file it to fit, paint it to match and fly it and watch it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Grafting. I cut and shaped. friend put 2 TIG tack welds and said he better give up while he was ahead. Epoxy sand paint finished it for me. Was very happy with the results. Couple of deep sanding scratches I never got out but it looked very much original. One year only parts.

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
Thanks for the push, Broncobowsher.
Progress so far:
Removed wires from connector and was able to complete disassembly.

Comparing the old and replacement.
50070031272_12f731f00c_z.jpg

After Dremel cut-out of the indicator fin, plus comparison.
50070035782_e9351ff706_z.jpg

Some time with small belt sander then by hand for final finish. It is notched to fit into the later model indicator slot. The older collar is just a bit thicker than replacement. I also blasted the collar since the finish was poor and I planned on paint.
50069784666_eb9ed13ff2_z.jpg

Epoxied, assembled and painted. I will let it dry overnight before column assembly.
50070054057_1a8f67a164_z.jpg

OP
OP
Lawndart

Lawndart

Loc.
There was a serious WTF moment when my newly fab'ed and painted collar would not fit over the shift tube. Had to polish the tube on the belt sander with 400 grit and massage the collar keyed slot for the tube to get fitment.
The videos were helpful, but just a note - my 73 was different by some details in the videos - namely the connector and some column conponents (no snap ring, an addition spring, etc).
Back on the road with a slop-free shifter!