• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken Rear axle stuck!

smallwonder

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Hey everyone,

Looking for some help with my brocken drivers rear axle.
I was taking a left turn at a stop light and half way through the intersection it sounded like we got hit, and the Bronco leaned to the side. Looked back and saw the tire, with drum just sitting there.
Called for a tow and she's home in the driveway.

The shaft brock flush with the bearing so I have nothing to grab on to pull. How's this thing going to come out?
I found this thread so it sounds like this is not all that rare.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-182349.html
but they don't say how they got it out. Take the diff out?

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Maybe you can weld a bolt to the axle shaft and use a slide hammer to pop it out? Or drill and tap it?

1966bajabronco

I like desert's idea...or maybe try to drill a hole inthe shaft and tap in some threads and find a way to yank it out ...like with a slide hammer or a chain.

or remove the whole axle and try and shake it out...maybe heating the housing and tapping it with a hammer. To do this suspend off the opposite end so the bad axle is on the bottom, spray with a penetrating lube like pb blaster, heat up and hit with a hammer...maybe if your lucky gravity will do the work.

no way to pull the dif without removing the axles.

if that don't work...maybe throw it in the gutter and go buy another....complete axle that is. I saw several of them on craigslist complete for under 300.

Last edited:

1966bajabronco

I should mention that the rear axles where on seattle craigslist a few weeks ago. i posted mine for $300 and didn't even get a hit. I'd sell you mine, but now it's in cabo san lucas with me.

If you pull it and cant get the axle out, maybe a machine shop/welder can help you out.

OP
OP
S

smallwonder

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys,
I need to go pick up a better bit. I tried to drill with no luck. I'll give that another go tomorrow. If not, then welding will be next.
I will report back with an update.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You might be able to push it from the other end with something skinny enough to get past the cross pin.

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
i agree with viperwolf, pull the other axle and try sticiking something small through that end (like a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" copper tubing maybe? just an idea.

Broncorex

Loc.
East Tennessee
From the good side after pulling the axle, insert a wooden broom stick making sure you are going thru the the center of the bearings and hit it with a BFH. It will come out.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I use magic to get them out. You have to jack it up and remove the backing plate. Then click your heals together three times as you spin around saying the magic words at least three times, saying them faster and faster as you spin.
Magic words: Ohwha- tah-jer-ky-yam.

Doing this will magically soften the axle and allow it to be drilled, taped, and slide hammered out.

If you get dizzy and fall over you have to start over again. If you don't say the magic words corectly, bad juju will harden the axle even more making it impossible to drill.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I use magic to get them out. You have to jack it up and remove the backing plate. Then click your heals together three times as you spin around saying the magic words at least three times, saying them faster and faster as you spin.

Doing this will magically soften the axle and allow it to be drilled, taped, and slide hammered out.

If you get dizzy and fall over you have to start over again. If you don't say the magic words corectly, bad juju will harden the axle even more making it impossible to drill.

Spinning clockwise or counter clockwise? I never seemed to get it right....%)

I think you should abandon all hope on the drill bit. That stuff is pretty hard steel. I think welding a rod to the shaft then welding a washer to the other end using a brake drum as a slide hammer would work.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

You changed beer brands again, didn't you. Tsk tsk tsk...I told you that they all affect ya differently...:p

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am sorry I was High on sugar and completely out of my mind.

Its counterclockwise