• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

broken rear output shaft

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Guys...

I broke the rear output shaft on the 20 this past weekend. Snapped it right behind the yoke flush with the t-case. I pulled the rear drive shaft and got off the trail in front wheel drive and drove it back to camp.

Is this a repair I can make with out pulling the t-case out?? I have a spare 20 laying around I can rob parts from to do this.

Any recomendations on something more beefy such as the set-up wild horses offers??

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, you can change it without pulling the T-case, just be careful not to loose the roller bearings. I snapped one myself, I upgraded to Wildhorses HD output and it hasn't happened again.

Oatmeal

I've seen the Jeep guys break plenty of D300 output shafts, are the Bronco D20 shafts just as fragile? I have never broken one in 22 yrs now (knocking on wood as I type:eek: ) but, I have a light foot. Are the guys that are breaking them running lower t/c gears and/or doublers?:? I'm running an NP435 through the stock 2.33 t/c gears should I worry and maybe carry a spare?------Hans

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Kind of expensive (about $450) but you can get the whole heavy duty assembled output assembly from WH and you dont even have to worry about the bearings. Just slide it in and bolt it up. I think it comes with the yoke too. At least thats what it says and shows in the catalog

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Swap the rear output section with your spare. If you're gentle with it the 13 roller bearings will stay in place when you remove it. If they fall you'll need to take the bottom cover off. I carry a spare output assembly and roller bearings.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's also nice if you can back up a small hill to help keep the lube in the t-case on trail repairs.