• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Blues....

NorCal70

Loc.
San Anselmo, CA
Any of you guys ever feel like selling?!? Today I got so frustrated that I wanted to just get out of my rig and just leave it! After pouring about $8k in upgrades, engine work, new brakes, paint, interior, etc. my truck is still the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had. After picking it up at the shop ($1100 later) it died on the highway and took a long time to start. Then as I was stuck in traffic it starts to overheat. :mad: I have a 4core radiator and a fan shroud. Once home I'm allright and admiring how good the Bronc' looks (despite it's behavior on the way home). I later decide to take my dog to the park so we hop in the Bronco and two blocks later at a turn, my horn starts blaring. I thought I had hit it with my elbow. Next left turn - horn blows again. :eek: People kept staring at me wondering why I was honking at them! ???I guess it's back to the shop on Monday. More fuel for my wife's dislike of my truck!

Oh well, feel better after venting. ;)

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
dude, I feel ya pain! Just keep the chin up and keep on pluggin along. It can't be that bad with that much money in it. Try starting out like me with a $750.00 bronco, that at this point doesnt even have an engine in it, NO paint, NO front cap on it, no TOP, NO roll bar, and NOT even a freaking tag..........Now do what I tell ya.......GO outside and KISS ya bronco. Cause she aint that bad!!! ;D
your welcome!
[glow=red,2,300]Ben[/glow]

digmy76

Holy Crap...are you me? I have poured a liberal amount of money into my rig and it seems to actually get worse. New engine, Carb, new radiator...now it runs awful and overheats. What the hell??? :mad: I won't ever sell....when the day comes she is going off a cliff (like in the movies)!? ;)

OP
OP
NorCal70

NorCal70

Loc.
San Anselmo, CA
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=22045;start=0#msg169689 date=1063422249]
Holy Crap...are you me? I have poured a liberal amount of money into my rig and it seems to actually get worse. New engine, Carb, new radiator...now it runs awful and overheats. What the hell??? :mad: I won't ever sell....when the day comes she is going off a cliff (like in the movies)!? ;)
[/quote]

NICE!!! That's what I needed to hear! And thank you to Bronco Ben too ;).

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
a little time and $$ and all will be fine. After about 4 years work we have 2 eb's that were ground up and a 72 suburban that runs great. Sure beats spendint 50k on a SUV that will last 3 yrs.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Have your numbers ran and check your build date. I bet it was a monday. QC in Detroit (or Dearborn) was all but nonexistant 30 years ago. Thats why the Japanese became so successful here.

The Bronco is such a simple machine that if its unreliable after spending that much money, you have find a different mechanic. Seriously, high school auto shop students start out on things more complex than a Bronco.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I'll chime in and reiterate what has been said. Its the simple things that get you down and flustered. Be master of the bronco and "break" that steed. ;D

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Back to the shop for a horn?? ::) I don't get it. Get a wheel puller and fix it yourself. Show that Bronco who's the boss!!!!

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
At least you can drive yours. I still have to stare at it while it sits in the garage getting put slowly back together.

My big lesson is: Make sure you have time before you tear it down to the frame. I got it down to the frame and then deployed off and on for 3 1/2 years. Still trying to get it back together. Very frustrating

69Early

Loc.
San Ramon, CA
[quote author=NorCal'70 link=board=5;threadid=22045;start=0#msg169674 date=1063419816]
Any of you guys ever feel like selling?!? Today I got so frustrated that I wanted to just get out of my rig and just leave it! After pouring about $8k in upgrades, engine work, new brakes, paint, interior, etc. my truck is still the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had. After picking it up at the shop ($1100 later) it died on the highway and took a long time to start. Then as I was stuck in traffic it starts to overheat. :mad: I have a 4core radiator and a fan shroud. Once home I'm allright and admiring how good the Bronc' looks (despite it's behavior on the way home). I later decide to take my dog to the park so we hop in the Bronco and two blocks later at a turn, my horn starts blaring. I thought I had hit it with my elbow. Next left turn - horn blows again. :eek: People kept staring at me wondering why I was honking at them! ???I guess it's back to the shop on Monday. More fuel for my wife's dislike of my truck!

Oh well, feel better after venting. ;)
[/quote]

Hang in there NorCal. I have and am currently in the same boat. I have replaced the 3rd member, d-30 to d-44, many changes on the engine. pwr steering & brakes. Every time I get my baby running strong something else brakes. Now it is the tranny. Going from the 3 sp. to a toploader 4. Currently being built and shipped from Texas. Wife feels the same way but wont ever get rid of her (the bronco). Who does your work. I have a guy up in Sacto that works on nothing but EB. I think the horn is an easy fix on the wiring. You have to find someone to work on your rig that knows bronco's has easy access to parts. His parents own Bronco Parts in Sacramento and he is reasonable on the labor, $65.00 an hour.

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
Hang in there, it's not that bad. What kind of steering wheel do you have? Is is a Grant? I've never been able to get a Grant horn kit to work. My last one did the same thing. It's in the steering wheel. Somewhere the connections are closing while yo turn the steering wheel. You should be able to find it.
Don

OP
OP
NorCal70

NorCal70

Loc.
San Anselmo, CA
Hang in there NorCal. I have and am currently in the same boat. I have replaced the 3rd member, d-30 to d-44, many changes on the engine. pwr steering & brakes. Every time I get my baby running strong something else brakes. Now it is the tranny. Going from the 3 sp. to a toploader 4. Currently being built and shipped from Texas. Wife feels the same way but wont ever get rid of her (the bronco). Who does your work. I have a guy up in Sacto that works on nothing but EB. I think the horn is an easy fix on the wiring. You have to find someone to work on your rig that knows bronco's has easy access to parts. His parents own Bronco Parts in Sacramento and he is reasonable on the labor, $65.00 an hour.

I'd like his name for future reference. Thanks.

OP
OP
NorCal70

NorCal70

Loc.
San Anselmo, CA
[quote author=DJM75 link=board=5;threadid=22045;start=0#msg169851 date=1063476328]
Hang in there, it's not that bad. What kind of steering wheel do you have? Is is a Grant? I've never been able to get a Grant horn kit to work. My last one did the same thing. It's in the steering wheel. Somewhere the connections are closing while yo turn the steering wheel. You should be able to find it.
Don
[/quote]

The previous owner had a MoMo steering wheel on. It was really nice, and I hear very expensive. No one could get a horn and turn cancel to work - so, I took it off and put a Grant on. It worked fine until yesterday. It's not a big deal and can be fixed easily. I'm more pissed that it's still having engine problems - overheating, stalling, etc.

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Talk her apart and put her back together............a couple of hundred times, and you'll be able to do it all yourself. Thats how i learned to work on mine.