• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco/F150... Am I crazy?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
So this idea popped into my head today, feel free to tell me how stupid it is, lol...

As much as I love our precious EBs, let's face it, it would be nice to have some of the modern conveniences. Granted we can take misc parts, throw them on the bronco, and have most of those things, but it would be great to have the modular motor, and other systems like power steering etc that were meant to go together. Don't get me wrong, figuring out how to get those things and doing the work is fun and rewarding, I'm just snowballin here.

So how about this. Take a totaled 2004 F150 (box frame) that's been totaled because of body damage not frame damage, and throw an early bronco on it. Some things you'd have to do are chop and shorten the frame (probably narrow it too), move the body mounts, and I'm sure some other stuff. I'd wanna keep the straight axle D44 and 9", but that seems pretty simple to do. May not even be necessary if you'd just want to keep it a street rig and don't require the lockers and extra flex. There probably some electronics to figure out, but I don't think you'd run into the same issues that people do trying to just drop a 4.6L into a bronco because all the sensors would still be intact.

It probably more complicated than what the above paragraph spells out, but the idea sounds pretty cool to me. Not looking for resale value or anything like that. Just make one more modern and look like it belongs there unlike some of the weird ones that pop up.

Flame away!

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Seems like a lot of work. You could buy a late model Bronco and have all the stuff you like and not have to work on it. As short as the bronco is and the frame mods seem like a lot of work for little benefit. You would have to install a straight axle (if you wanted to go that route) or deal with the goofy newer front suspension. If you decide to do it though I would watch the build.

Henry

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have thought about something similar, but with using an F250 with a Stroke. Make the EB body 4 door and make the back a half cab and put a gooseneck hitch in the bed. Sounds stupid, but it sure does look killer in my dreams!

N747JB

You would probably come out better by buying a decent F150 to drive and a Bronco to play with. But that wouldn't be as much fun, would it?;D

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I think the F150/Bronco would be tough. I see where you are going with the idea and like it alot. I think the trouble would be to get everything to play nice together.

The F250/Bronco would also be a cool idea. You could extend to a 4 door and make it like a half cab.

Both ideas would be fun to watch.. I'm not htat far away that I would even offer my help.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Lol, no beer... The idea isn't to have it to replace a DD, although it wouldn't make a bad one. I don't think the frame modifications would be that difficult to accomplish. Changing the steering column length and length adjustments to coincide with what they would need to be to work with the bronco body could be somewhat challenging though.

Having a diesel (I'm not a big fan of the powerstroke, but cool none the less) would be interesting.

IF I decide to take on such a project rest assured it'll be posted here. My 74 will be an EB from the ground up though so I'd have to pick up a third bronco if the wife would even go for it.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Someone did something like that with an explorer base. Nice job if I remember right. There was a magazine article about it too. It may have even been in Bronco Driver but I can't remember for sure.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I'm not really seeing what you are gaining by using the F-150 frame and drivetrain. The drivetrain really won't fit in a narrower/ shorter frame configuration. The IFS would be a nightmare to integrate cleanly into the EB body lines. If you modify for a straight axle, all the steering is going to be custom. The climate control system is only as good as the leaky EB body will allow. Fuel system will need to be reworked for the EB.
I think you would run out of real estate under the EB body long before you got all the systems are in place.
I guess the real question is, what exactly will you be able to keep from the F150 and is it really going to be better than the tried and true upgrades already available.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
IF I decide to take on such a project rest assured it'll be posted here. My 74 will be an EB from the ground up though so I'd have to pick up a third bronco if the wife would even go for it.

Just sell me the one that is in a million pieces and then you can tell her that you are selling one to gain another and make it a better driver for her..;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Overall I think its a lot of work when you could just transplant the F150 drive train into the eb frame as basically when your done with the swap you talk about thats all you have done. All the work doesnt really add up when its all said and done. Swap axles, steering, shorten and modify the frame, still have to deal with electronics as well the PATs system pretty much limits your ability to swap everything over without using the f150 dash/ steering column or at least parts of it. But I think most of the guys that swap the motors use van or f250 electronics as I believe they dont have the pats system.
In short you are crazy your making more work than needed to do a swap.;D

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Pedestrian and Broncnaz, good points. I hadn't thought of the dash (or components of it) needing to be in there. And narrowing the frame would throw off everything like the factory suspension, motor mounts, and a host of other things. If you had enough time and could fab your own parts it'd be easier and cheaper, but without that ability it would get expensive quick.

I met a guy not too long ago that claims to be the rainman of electronics. I wonder if he could figure out a way to fool the PATS and whatever other sensors if I just wanted to drop a 4.6L and accompanying tranny in there. Although my squad car has a 4.6L and the gas mileage sucks so that may not be the way to go either.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Interesting about the explorer chassis being used, it's probably closer dimension-wise to the bronco. I'll have to see of I can find that article.

Kyle, trust me, you wouldn't want to pay what I'd need to get out of the 74 to break even on it. I don't really wanna sell it anyway. I feel I have a responsibility to put it back together after tearing apart a good rig.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You so Crazy..!!! ;D anything can be done, with plenty of time and money..

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
You so Crazy..!!! ;D anything can be done, with plenty of time and money..

I guess the only question you'd have to ask yourself is is it worth the effort. I honestly don't think it would be extraordinarily expensive. If you could find a wrecked chassis donor for $1000-2500 you've got most of it covered there. I don't think my knowledge level is sufficient to do all the electronic mods that may need to be done though. It'd be a fun project for sure

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Steve83 did something along the lines of what you are talking about - he took a 1975 Bronco and updated it with a Eddie Bauer FSB (I don't remember the year). Added all the upgraded electronics, drivetrain, etc.

While not exactly what you are talking about, it is similar - he did manage to squeeze the larger drivetrain into the '75's frame, so I guess what you are talking about is possible...

His images are here: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/3536