• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Fuel Line

BrianD

Loc.
Denver
Question: In stripping out the old fuel lines in my recently acquired '69 (they and the tank were full of shellac, sitting for ???) I noticed that stretches of it are made of a hard plastic. I am replacing the entire line, from tank(s) to carb and wondering: What should I replace this with? Metal lines? The same plastic lines? Any ideas/suggestions/guidelines are welcomed.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Go out and buy some steel line. Pretty cheap and never a fire hazard, well almost never. Probably do front to back for ten bucks :)

70_Steve

Old Guy
Yeah, I replaced my with 3/8" steel line. Bought a roll of it from Summit because I couldn't find what I wanted locally. Here in the heat, vapor lock is an issue, so I ran my line on the outside of the frame. Also, remember that anyplace there might be movement of the fuel line, you want to use rubber. I have rubber from the tank to my electric fuel pump, from the fuel pump to the fuel line on the frame, and from the frame to the steel line attached to the engine.

myscott22

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR.
I have been looking for that myself. The Ford dealer here says they can get it in 25' rolls but it is expensive. I think I will look into steel too

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
I just went to the local auto parts store and bought the longest factory 3/8" fuel lines and ran a female coupling to extend two lines together for the full length of the frame.

My .02 was that the factory flaired ends with connectors were alot more sound than double flairing my own.

The whole installation was alot cheaper and easier than paying for a roll of 3/8, rolling out and flairing ends.

The only down side (if any) is the possibility that a coupling could at some point work loose and leak. In 5 years, it has NOT leaked yet.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Buckin74 said:
I just went to the local auto parts store and bought the longest factory 3/8" fuel lines and ran a female coupling to extend two lines together for the full length of the frame.

My .02 was that the factory flaired ends with connectors were alot more sound than double flairing my own.

The whole installation was alot cheaper and easier than paying for a roll of 3/8, rolling out and flairing ends.

The only down side (if any) is the possibility that a coupling could at some point work loose and leak. In 5 years, it has NOT leaked yet.

It's really not necessary to double flare the ends for a carbed fuel system. It's not a bad thing either.I doubt the coupling with ever come loose on you.
I went with a coil of aluminum 3/8 line from jegs. Put a hump in the ends to keep the clamp on.