• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco has the shakes - Update with alignment specs

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just re-read your first post where you say that you were under there while someone turned the wheel. If that was while it was in the air, then I stick to what I just said. If you did it with the weight on the ground, then sorry for repeating things.
Again...

Paul

OP
OP
K

KDML

Thanks for all the responses. I have been away from the Bronco for a few days, but hope to find some time this weekend.

My plan is to pull off the track bar and inspect all bushings and mounting. I will also re-do my inspection with the wheels on the ground as I did previously to make sure I did not miss anything.

If I find the time I will try rotating the tires to see if it makes a difference (this may require a change in pants as my issue only happens at highway speeds)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My plan is to pull off the track bar and inspect all bushings and mounting. I will also re-do my inspection with the wheels on the ground as I did previously to make sure I did not miss anything.

If I find the time I will try rotating the tires to see if it makes a difference (this may require a change in pants as my issue only happens at highway speeds)

I'd say just leave the track bar on and do the test. If something moves, then take it off. Nothing moves, it's OK.
And then, with the time saved by not pulling it off, you can rotate the tires.

Adult diapers work very well. Saves the pants.
I was lucky, mine did it only between 25 and 30 mph. Every morning, on the way to work, at the same intersection and the same bump.

Paul

OP
OP
K

KDML

Just wanted to update this thread

I have my new tires now and just had the alignment checked this morning. I have not had a chance to get the truck back on the highway. The tech doing the alignment said everything was in spec. He did make a minor toe adjustment, which I expected as I set the initial toe myself. The caster looked high to me, but not way out of line. I am running 31" tires, 3.5 inch suspension lift and 7 degree c-bushings. Below are the alignment specs - anyone see anything that raises any red flags?

Camber Left 1.1 degrees
Camber Right 1.0 degrees
Caster Left 4.1 degrees
Caster Right 4.4 degrees
Toe .07 in
Cross Camber 0
Cross Caster -0.3 degrees
Total Toe 0.14in

Thanks and Happy 4th of July

islandigital

Loc.
St. Croix, USVI
I had bad Death wobble on my jeep when i first set her up. I had too much toe and the lower track bar bolt hole was a little oval. changed out the bushing to accept a larger bolt. Adjusted the toe and replaced the steering stabalizer. Good to go.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The caster looked high to me, but not way out of line.

Camber Left 1.1 degrees
Camber Right 1.0 degrees
Caster Left 4.1 degrees
Caster Right 4.4 degrees
Toe .07 in
Cross Camber 0
Cross Caster -0.3 degrees
Total Toe 0.14in

Don't worry about too much caster here. You never know when you might decide to add more lift or larger tires or quicker steering. And this probably makes you the first person here to post up caster specs that were actually at or above what they're supposed to be, without other modifications being needed!!! Congratulations.

So, your caster is not only nothing to worry about, it's PP (practically perfect) for power steering. Manual steering might feel a bit harder to steer, but still useable.

Camber is right to spec, though a bit more than I like personally. Not because of handling issues, but higher positive camber specs tend to contribute to quicker outside tire wear. So again, PP.

Toe-in seems a bit high maybe? Maybe not? Wait to hear what the others say, but .14" is just over an eighth of an inch. Probably not needed with 31's, but like the rest or your readings, certainly not excessive. Probably will work well, but, in cahoots with the camber, will contribute to outside wear on the tires. Once again, PP.

Ahh, the relief...

Now get out there and drive it and see what happens. Crossing a bunch of fingers here, but after all that, it's just GOTTA' work!
Good luck.

Paul

ransil

Bronco Guru
Look at the lower trac bar bolt.
The shoulder on the WH trac bar riser bolt only goes into the sleeve of the lower bushing 1/4-1/2 way the rest is the bolt threads which are smaller in diameter.

luderchris

Bronco Guru
Loc.
SouthEast PA
Toe in should be 1/4 - 5/16 " in !!! Almost 0 toe will cause it to wander and wobble!!

It is at a bit more than 1/8" -- that should be fine. I am at 1/4 with 35" tires and mine is good. Should be similar with the smaller tires. (Measurement closer to the center of the wheel.....right?)

OP
OP
K

KDML

Just realized that I never updated this thread. New tires fixed my problem. To test the theory I put the old tires on my other bronco and it immediately was pulling to the right. I moved the tires around and the issue went away. Clearly an issue with one of the tires.

Thanks