• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Newbie - Have Steering Box Question - need to know quick

Qwert98

Hi Guys. Just sold my CJ7 and graduated to the world of Early Bronco's with a 1973 Bronco Explorer. It has a 302 engine and automatic tranny. (don't know much else yet)
I am getting the steering gear box (power steering) changed and I thought I remember reading something about the later years having a ratio that allows you to turn the wheels without having to turn the steering wheel as much.
Does anyone know what steering box year I need to get the best steering configuration? Also, do you know if this year box will fit in a 1973?
Thanks in advance!!!

OP
OP
Q

Qwert98

OK, it looks like the steering box in 1973 was 5.3 turns lock to lock and that was reduced to 3.8 turns in 1975. The big question is - will the 1975 steering box fit in the 1973 Bronco?????

Anyone know?

bteutsch

First welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bronco!

Here is an email I got after asking the same question from Dan at Bronco connection..

If you get a bronco box for an early bronco it is a direct bolt on no matter the year model. There are other options though. I have a 4x4x2 f150 box. It's almost a direct bolt on. 1 hole lines up and you can drill The other 2. I used the adapter plate that bolts to the stock holes and then the 4x4x2 box bolts to that. I think west coast broncos makes the plate but other vendors sell it.

Stock 73-75 Broncos came out with a 6 turn system. Very good for rocks, added
wedging power, but a little much for regular driving.
76-77 Broncos came out with a 4 turn system. They are easier to drive but do
have a little less power to turn the wheels into rocks.

The 6 turn systems run $475 complete and the 4 turn systems run $550 and they
include everything needed to install the system. Only modification would need
to be done to your steering column. The power steeing systems use a two piece
colum or you can shorten the colum you have a couple inches. I do have P/S
columns available for $150

Thanks, Dan

We now accept major credit cards by phone or email. We also accept online
payments through Paypal or money orders by mail.

Check out our web site www.broncoconnection.net for pics of many of the parts
we have available. Contact us at 402-750-1281 after 6pm central time with any questions you may have

Hope that helps also here is a link to BC broncos steering write up that will tell you all your options.
http://www.bcbroncos.com/powersteering.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Qwert98

Thanks mcuh for all the feedback. Looks like there is nothing that is plug-n-play. A lot of good options though.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks mcuh for all the feedback. Looks like there is nothing that is plug-n-play. A lot of good options though.

Most if not all the kits are plug and play. They should come with everything you need......My delphi box bolted right up. I ordered hoses that bolted right up and as for the steering shaft, I chose to make my own rather than buy one that would bolt right up.

That's about as good as it get in my book.......

Tim

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I am getting the steering gear box (power steering) changed and I thought I remember reading something about the later years having a ratio that allows you to turn the wheels without having to turn the steering wheel as much.
Does anyone know what steering box year I need to get the best steering configuration? Also, do you know if this year box will fit in a 1973?
Thanks in advance!!!

You can bolt up a 76/77 3.8 turn steering box without any modifications whatsoever. It is a direct replacement for your '73 box.

OP
OP
Q

Qwert98

AWESOME! that is what I was hoping for. I will order the 3.8 turn box. I saw a remanufactured box a few posts up. Anyone see any concerns with a remanufactured box? I assume that they are all remanufactured now due to the age - but I remember working in the auto industry where remanufactured items have a much larger tolerance that OEM...

Thanks for all the advice!!!!

muskrat

Bronco Guru
The quality of rebuilt steering box varies greatly. I used these guys for my '78 F150. I'm very happy with them and will use them again on my Bronco.

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

I think I agree. I had West Texas Offroad rebuilt mine. Still has play or a "dead spot" right at top center. I'm also using a smaller sport steering wheel. Maybe that makes me think the play is worse than it is, but I'm not happy with it.

My goal would be for my wife to enjoy driving the bronco, and she doesn't. she doesn't like the feel of the steering at all.

I might try the Nissan Xterra box. I've heard good things, but don't know yet what is involved in mounting it.

Anyone know?