• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Pulls to Side when Accelerating/Decelerating

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
When I step on the gas, my Bronco pulls to the right. When I let off the gas, it pulls to the left. It is especially noticeable when I let off the gas when shifting gears. All of this happens when in 2WH. Any idea on the possible cause? Torque only going to one wheel at the rear end?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Does the truck have an rear locker? Detroit's and other full lockers are really bad about torque steer..

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a combo of locker, soft suspension and or as Revelation stated steering geometry, could be other things but I would check the rear for a locker first and go from there.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
When the splines twisted off inside the Detroit locker on one axle my Bronco did that. New axle and problem solved.

xlt79brnc

Loc.
Satsuma, Alabama
My wifes 73 did this. Looked at everything and replaced the steering stablizer.
It eneded up being the end of the radius arms bushings. Look at them.
This Bronco is not driven much and the bushings where not that old.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a detroit locker... they are tricky lil' bastards on the road!

4lofun

mine does this for sure. its the only time I fell the hard pull right,heavy aceleration it goes right... let off gas goes left.. 350 HP and a detriot locker in my rig. I must have torque steer??

jmzhwells

Loc.
Visalia, CA.
My detroit does the same thing. Not too bad once you learn how to handle it. Easy on and off the gas. Its even funner on slick dirt roads, or ice I imagine.

66Prowler

Loc.
Peoria
Solved it for me !

Steering Linkage - Heim Joint Style, 76-77 Ford Bronco, Disc Brake Front End
Condition: New
Part Number: 3884
Price: $379.00

Description
New Custom Heim Joint Steering Linkage for 76-77 Classic Ford Broncos. Linkage can be mounted above or below the steering knuckle. Comes with all mounting hardware. Knuckles and pitman arm must be drilled out for mounting hardware. This linkage is designed to fit front ends with 50'' from center to center on the knuckle holes where the tie rods connect. This measurment is commonly found on disc brake front ends. For narrower measurements (48") check part# 3881.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Did this just start all of a sudden? If so I would check the rear u-bolts to make sure they are tight and all front end bushings. Also make sure the air pressure in the tires are the same on both sides.

We need a little more info before we can give any better advice on what to check.;)

OP
OP
mavman427

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
Here's a picture of my current setup.

P1010394.jpg

As you can see, the trac bar and drag link are not parallel. They're off by 4.9 degrees, which is a pretty significant difference. I did the math and I would have to drop the pitman arm by ~2.5 inches to get the drag link parallel with the trak bar. I can't see that happening without going to a different steering box.

I've recently replaced the entire front and rear suspensions, steering setup, ball joints, brakes, you name it. No lockers and axles are stock. Shocks are pretty old and are pretty much shot. When I had the rear axles out, I did notice the splines had started to yield and are slightly rotated. I also noticed that the factory Trak-Lok rear differential is basically completely shot as I can hold one tire with my pink finger from spinning when the truck is up on jack stands and in gear. There is also a fair amount of slop in the rear end when rotating a tire back and forth, so maybe the differential is shot.

I'm running a 3.5" suspension lift with a 1" body lift, wildhorses rock crawler springs, adjustable track bar, wildhorses 3-way adjustable steering linkage, trac bar drop bracket, drop pitman arm, factory bronco power steering box rebuilt by yours truly, 7 degree C-bushings (I think), stock radius arms, and customized original solid steering shaft. I did have a wheel alignment done on this and the caster was within ford spec, but was a little low.

Also, my Bronco does indeed have bump steer. When I hit bumps, the wheel does jerk one way or the other, in addition to jerking one way or another when accelerating or decelerating. It also rides like a wagon on a dirt road, not sure if that is because the springs are too stiff or because my shocks are completely toast. All in all, it makes for a pretty exciting ride.

jamesf7278

Loc.
Salmon Arm B.C
i might be wrong here but i dont think you need the trac bar lowering bracket with the adjustable trac bar? put the old one on and adjust your trac bar and they will be parallel

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Have someone turn the wheel back and forth a turn or so while you watch the drag link. If the tie-rod rotates up and down when the drag link pulls or pushes, that would be your problem. If the above mentioned symptom is happening, your wheels are allowed to turn without input from the steering wheel.