• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco SS 4 years and counting!

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I like the "mistake by the lake", I have not heard that one before.
That was what the Deputy that picked us up at the airport called it back in 1988, I was there to pick up an inmate to bring back to Florida.

As for the stainless rusting, yes it will, but the allow we are using is a high end and has been "Weathered" for about 8 years, sitting outside under some oak trees. The only indications I have seen of any rust was from another piece of steel sitting on it, just a light discoloration that was just a surface stain. a little rub with a damp cloth and off it came.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Another Productive day, Drivers side floors are now complete.

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

Tomorrow I will finish up the tunnel, then start on the Quarter Panel install.
There are 2 areas on the tunnel that are not being completed until the tub is on the chassis, just to be sure of clearance for the 300. Measurements say there is plenty of room, but nothing says "Good to go" like seeing everything in place.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
All the floors are in!!! It is not perfect, but I do not think any Bronco was perfect rolling off the assembly line. Only have 2 filler pieces to do after it is mounted on my chassis, just want it right.(Thanks Bax for making me doubt the tape measure)
Going to shoot the bedliner on the inner quarters, and the frame support braces, found one more area on the inner quarters to repair. That should take about 15 minutes.
Todays pictures.

021620101.jpg

021620105.jpg

021620109.jpg

0216201010.jpg

021620106.jpg

And the piece we fabricated to help support the body brace where it had to be cut for the 435 shifter.
021620108.jpg

It has been a long but fun road to get to this point. 3 years, a year and a half that was spent dealing with mu Uncles cancer. Most was done on only weekends, until the past 2 months.

What we have done so far, (Abbreviated list) You can see the complete chassis thread if you CLICKY HERE
Repaired frame,fabbed changes to the frame(Custom front crossmember doubles as a Steering brace. Ext, arms, stretch 2 1/2 inches. fabbed track bar drop bracket)
D-44, 9", NP435, and D-20 all rebuilt.
Installed 300 6, 3 inches lower and 3 inches farther back than stock.
4x4x2 P/S.
fabricated core support.
Front Disc brakes.
New springs front and rear. (Still shock shopping)

Done the work on the body you have seen in this thread.
There is not one part of my Bronco that I have not touched with my hands, That is satisfaction.

Last edited:

mavereq

Bronco Guru
man that looks nice. does this mean you're ready for me to drag mine down for a stainless floor now?

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
man that looks nice. does this mean you're ready for me to drag mine down for a stainless floor now?

We can put you in line. We have 2 more to do before we can say we got it all figured out. Mine was the guinea pig. Found some things we are going to change. But as a whole I think it turned out good, of course i know what is going to be done with paint and bedliner that is goingot make the install look a little cleaner.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just ordered a set of flares from BroncoDesign, and to celebrate getting my Contributor status back I had to show a few more pics this way.
021620103.jpg

021620107.jpg

The chassis, waiting on the tub.

80603200717.jpg

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Too cool man, I know you're getting more & more excited..

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Started fitting the Quarter panels today, also filled the tire carrier holes. I got the quarter panels from Carpenter, they look good, but have to make a few cuts to get the proper fit as the entire lip is as pressed, continuous all the way around. Also have 2 areas that will need a thin layer of filler on the upper quarters where we took out 3/4" of bondo, we formed the wrinkled metal the best we could, but still need a thin layer of filler. Darn PO quick fix. Will not be working on it the next few days as I have a prior commitment. But Monday the stretch run on the body!

Are you doing the inner front fenders in stainless too? Cause that would be cool.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Too cool man, I know you're getting more & more excited..

You know it Brother! I cannot wait to drive it, going to be interesting with all the changes we did. I got a taste of it about 2 months ago. This thread sums it up for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
So decided to take a few days off from the Bronco. Waiting for a few parts to come in before I install the rear quarters. Some things I am looking for on the CHEAP (Yea my low budget is lower than Obama's approval rating).
1. Manual column (Tilt would be a bonus)
2. Found
3. Found
4. Windshield hinge
5. Found
6. Pending
7. Cool Speedo/Guage cluster (Does not have to be Bronco but usable in a Bronco)
8. Pending

OK Those are a few things I need but am real strapped to get. Not looking for handouts, just on the Cheap. I do have some things we could horse trade for(Nothing 66, Sorry got to keep those) It is wheelin and dealin time to get this done!!

Last edited:

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
i have soft ware to build anything out of tubing. if you would like roll cage plans, pm me. all you would have to do is take some measurements for me, and i can design anything you want. we can negotiate cost, not looking to make a killing off of anything like this. especially if you have to get the measurements... :)

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Got some good news tonight, Broncodesign has finished my flares and they will be shipped soon!!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I want to see it with the body on the frame!

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I have a 66 steering column you can have. You'll have to come up with a lower shaft and u-joint setup, but you can have it if you want it.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Sitting here bored, wishing i was working on the Bronco I came across some older pics of the tub, when we first started dismantling it.

Attachments

• DSCF0045 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0045 (Medium).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Blast Day (5) (Small).JPG
    Blast Day (5) (Small).JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Blast Day (6) (Small).JPG
    Blast Day (6) (Small).JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Well back to business, Arrived at the shop a little later than planned but got some done.

Checking out the rear quarters we found that the fit for the drivers side is a little off, the pass side is near perfect. After Checking the fit on the fenders it was time to take care of a few small places that need a little filler. All in all a good day, My flares arrive tomorrow, Thanks BroncoDesign, More on those tomorrow. We will be cutting the rear quarters prior to installation to assist with fitment and attachment. The cut outs will be for sale so if your looking to go back uncut, this may be your chance. Just one pic today.

Attachments

• 02222010.jpg
    02222010.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 104

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Rev, I want your cut outs. I have a project that will need them. Body on yet. I want to see that 6 fit in the engine bay. it's the 6'' back that has me worried.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Only 3 inches back Bax, and 3 inches lower. We are completing the filler on the few spots in the A.M. Cutting the Quarters, and spraying the inner Quarters with Bedliner tomorrow, Hanging the Quarters on Wed. and depending on the time the tub will be set on either Wed. afternoon or Thursday morning.
I will write your name on the cut outs tomorrow, and deliver them in the next few weeks, when I pick up the script.