• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco SS 4 years and counting!

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Thanks again for the help today and I really enjoyed the ride. It should only get better from here. Once you get all the little/big goodies that you have planned you'll want to sleep in that thing at night.

But I don't think that Ford even had developed the 300 six back when these things came out.

instigator

back when the Bronco was developed the big block six banger for Ford was the 240. which would have made a wonderful power plant instead of the tiny 170.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I have always been a fan of Ford's Big Six, besides offroad It's all about torque, and after putting 1100 miles on it thus far, I can say Ford's second biggest Mistake with the EB was never putting a Big six in, Stopping production of the EB in 77 was the biggest, 3rd would be the trans, the NP435 was just made for an EB,

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
The 1500 mile report!

So it has been 1500 miles put on chipper since I brought chipper home. 1 trip over to see Bax, and 2 trips to Smokeater11's and all is manageable.
The good.
NO Fluid Leaks at all! Had a p/s leak but 2 O-rings took care of that.
The 300 six! What an awesome motor, My only issue with the motor at this point is the dist will not budge! so until I get a new Dist. i will deal with the timing issue as is, seems a little to far advanced. Looking at 16-18 MPG right now, not bad, But cannot wait to buy the Clifford package put it on to liven it up even more.

NP425- No issues at all, no whine, no grinding, no shifting issues, and love the granny gear!

D-20, D-44, 9"- All were rebuilt with all new bearings and seals. No leaks, no drips, no strange noises.

4 Wheel Disc. Not Power disc, but is not needed, stops straight and true every time!

Steering- This is my main complaint right now, darting on uneven pavement, and what I originally thought to be play in the P/S gear, it is not, seems the tie rod is flexing when the wheel is turned, may be fixed with a drop pitman arm or a tie rod over, it is manageable and not what I would consider dangerous. I do have plans for the heim steering at some point and will do the tie rod over then. should take care of the issue. I did have a death wobble issue that happened only when I would hit a pot hole, toe was wrong, got it set back within tolerances and it is all good, and I am not running a steering stabilizer, which i feel would mask some issues.

The Body- with all the stainless DO NOT TOUCH the floors if she has been sitting outside you will get burnt. the paint is holding up great as is the bedliner, none of either has chipped or fell off, i know there was a concern with the bedliner being sprayed right over Etch primer, but it is holding strong.

The front seats I have are from a Ford Probe- had to do some fabrication to get them to work, but as for comfort they are great, hit the pick and pull today and found a matching set to put in the back, saving to get them all re-covered.

ordered an ExtremeCustomFab 6 point roll cage Friday, should ship middle of the week, I already have plans to add to it ones we get it welded together. Adding for a shoulder belt, Going to pull the factory belts from the Probes and they will be perfect. Then I can get my Family bikini made, Having it made local, and may even go wit Silver material to match.

Still need to cut down a driveshaft for the front, I have a rear one (Thanks Bax) and just need to shorten it to 26 1/2" to work. Exause is another issue but I am doing all I can to hold off till I get the headers.

Am I happy with it, as a whole you betcha Skippy! My Uncle James did an awesome job with all the mods we made. As soon as I get the cage in I am planning a trip to Lake City, will be the longest trip at one time, But at this point I would load up and drive it to Tito's in Bakersfield Ca.! That is how happy I am with it!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
cool stuff, have a drop bracket if needed...

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Tito, You have to sit in these seats brother! I am the worst traveler there is and they are comfy!
Thanks Tasker, Will let you know.
Started to Mock up the rear seats, Tight fit, Grinder and Drill have died on me so, end of fun for today, Well almost, Stuck them in to see what they are going to look like, once the cage is in I think it may look pretty slick. That and when I get them recovered.

Attachments

• IMG00009-20100816-1504.jpg
    IMG00009-20100816-1504.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG00010-20100816-1507.jpg
    IMG00010-20100816-1507.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
ordered a cage, good man.

Yea I figured I would have as much tied up in material alone so I dropped the hammer on this one.
M2055993

Figure that will be a good base and I can add to it after I get it in and see what else I want. When the kit gets here I may call on you welding skillz if my neighbor is out of town.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
That's a good start. Is it the un-welded kit or is it welded?

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
That's a good start. Is it the un-welded kit or is it welded?

Un-welded, saves a ton on shipping, It was offered as No Shipping, But I would bet that the shipping runs about 180, add that to the cost of the cage on their site and you have what I payed for the free shipping model.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
yeah all the free shipping is just talk. You pay for shipping one way or the other.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Those seats are sweet Rev. Very nice rig, can't wait to see it with a cage.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I see you were successful in your trip to the u pull it yard!! They look cool in there. How's the leg room?? The cage looks like it's gonna be a nice fit. Are you planning on shooting it in a color to match the stainless or the blue? You need to have Bax weld it for ya that way he can get some practice for mine!!:p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Well I have some silver left from the Bronco soo!!!! The seats are a tight fit, but I am moving them further back than the stock rear seat would be so there will be plenty of legroom. Trying to leave enough room behind them for a small cooler, and maybe a tackle box or 2.