• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco stalling on highway and won’t restart.

OP
OP
rbwamsley

rbwamsley

@DirtDonk here are some more (possibly better) pics.

bsGpZwq.jpeg

B4kipqc.jpeg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Easier to see some things.
Can you get some pictures close-up like that of the wires leading into the distributor too?
I’m already questioning the wiring and since your symptoms seem to be electrically related, after seeing the distributor wires, I’m probably still going to recommend replacing at least the wires. And make another recommendation or two as
Better connections, fewer crimps, more “known“ commodities, and cleaning things up. I’ve never seen a relay like the one on your wheel well, but that doesn’t mean it’s not effective.
It looks very well weather sealed, but it also looks extremely old and already one of the wires on the left has split and is exposed to the air. Not the best location for the relay, and also not in the best condition.

And even though the starter is not causing you, any trouble, the starter relay/solenoid to starter cable looks rusty and has seen better days. In fact, your positive battery cable has seen better days as well.
Speaking of which, we can’t rule them out as part of the problem as well.
I still think it’s your distributor and/or distributor wiring. But at some point, the cables will need to be renewed.