• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco still puking on the freeway

CRUZIN66

Loc.
SAN DIEGO
i just dumped in a rebuilt 302. the entire cooling sysyem is new rad,pump, t-stat(180),cap (16lb),etc.. im running mechanical gauges. no problems in the city until i get on the freeway. the temp gauge will read 180 then suddenly it will rocket to 230 for a few seconds then drop back to 180. i can smell rad fluid when it rockets to 230. when i get off the freeway it will run about 200. when i rev the enging at a stop it will drop down to 180. when i checked the fluid return tank and its at a normal level.

ive burped the system, installed a new t stat, i dont see any air bubbles or carbon in the rad when i run it without the cap.( trying to rule out a head gasket). oh ya, and i rechecked the timeing. my engine builder swears the head gaskets are on right. ( in other words im going to have to fix it myself if thats the problem)

need help!!! thx,rob

4x4DRIVER

Loc.
north carolina
Sounds like you may have a bad fan clutch. it may not be moving enough air along with the incoming air to cool the truck, but when truck is not moving it engages just enough.

OP
OP
CRUZIN66

CRUZIN66

Loc.
SAN DIEGO
new lower hose w/ spring, mechanical fan w/shroud no clutch. im stumped. i know the gauge is good. it was working on my gto

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Could the stat be sticking closed? A friend of mine drills an 1/8" hole in the edge of all his stats to eliminate air pockets. When the 66 had issues with a new motor I was swapping parts trying to get it to stay cool at idle. I fixed it by using a reverse flush kit on it. My guess is it had gasket seal or something from the rebuild floating in the system.

ransil

Bronco Guru
At highway speeds fan & fan shroud do nothing for cooling, ram air is used.

Big gaps around the radiator should be sealed so the air is forced thru the rad and not around it, I think your problem is the lower rad hose sucking shut.