• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Terrifying over 65mph

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Getting to 90mph and stopping quickly from 90mph is relatively easy. (I just did it 2 days ago on my first "romp on it test drive" with a bunch of new parts). But I've been able to do this literally for decades.

The hardest part is building the rest of your Bronco around those 2 goals- getting there quickly and stopping quickly.

Suspension, steering and handling are much "harder to get right". Broncos will never handle like a "new truck". You know why??? A new Ford F150 has had 50 years of suspension, strg, and handling improvements to make it do what it does... AND it has some very obvious differences than a Bronco. Looooonger WB, wider track width (a bunch) and 50 years of updates. :)

IF you have the funds to build several prototypes of Broncos to dial in your new truck to ride like the $300K Bronco you were comparing it to then you will be as close as you can get.

Bolting on parts like Bilsteins, or an antisway bar, or a new PS box ain't gonna do it. Yes, it will make your Bronco handle pretty decent at 70, but 90 is a whole nuther ball game. Try changing lanes "quickly" at 85mph in a Bronco... lol... good luck!

I've driven my Bronco for close to 300K. Travelled for 6 weeks at a time in it. Driven for 16 hrs straight to fishing holes at 65-70 mph...does fine. ALL upgraded over stock stuff like shocks, etc. 90mph ain't coming easy to an "updated" Bronco unless you design in dozens of little suspension upgrades, handling upgrades (try going around a sharp highway corner at 85mph in a Bronco)...

The $300K Gateway Bronco has dozens if not a hundred little upgrades that allows it do what it does. A "new truck" has had a hundreds if not a thousand...

I cruise at 70-75 for hours at a time in mine. It sits on 40"s, it has an extended WB, it has ORI's on each corner and sits on the equiv of 2.5" suspension lift. I rock crawl with it. It has a 460SBF with a 6r80. I'll never be able to use all the power on the street... off road yes-easy, but not on the street. I shifted out of 3rd at 90 3 days ago and I won't do it again...

So, my .02. Look past Bilsteins and new bushings if you want to cruise at 85mph plus.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Getting to 90mph and stopping quickly from 90mph is relatively easy. (I just did it 2 days ago on my first "romp on it test drive" with a bunch of new parts). But I've been able to do this literally for decades.

The hardest part is building the rest of your Bronco around those 2 goals- getting there quickly and stopping quickly.

Suspension, steering and handling are much "harder to get right". Broncos will never handle like a "new truck". You know why??? A new Ford F150 has had 50 years of suspension, strg, and handling improvements to make it do what it does... AND it has some very obvious differences than a Bronco. Looooonger WB, wider track width (a bunch) and 50 years of updates. :)

IF you have the funds to build several prototypes of Broncos to dial in your new truck to ride like the $300K Bronco you were comparing it to then you will be as close as you can get.

Bolting on parts like Bilsteins, or an antisway bar, or a new PS box ain't gonna do it. Yes, it will make your Bronco handle pretty decent at 70, but 90 is a whole nuther ball game. Try changing lanes "quickly" at 85mph in a Bronco... lol... good luck!

I've driven my Bronco for close to 300K. Travelled for 6 weeks at a time in it. Driven for 16 hrs straight to fishing holes at 65-70 mph...does fine. ALL upgraded over stock stuff like shocks, etc. 90mph ain't coming easy to an "updated" Bronco unless you design in dozens of little suspension upgrades, handling upgrades (try going around a sharp highway corner at 85mph in a Bronco)...

The $300K Gateway Bronco has dozens if not a hundred little upgrades that allows it do what it does. A "new truck" has had a hundreds if not a thousand...

I cruise at 70-75 for hours at a time in mine. It sits on 40"s, it has an extended WB, it has ORI's on each corner and sits on the equiv of 2.5" suspension lift. I rock crawl with it. It has a 460SBF with a 6r80. I'll never be able to use all the power on the street... off road yes-easy, but not on the street. I shifted out of 3rd at 90 3 days ago and I won't do it again...

So, my .02. Look past Bilsteins and new bushings if you want to cruise at 85mph plus.

https://roadstershop.com/product/full-chassis/1966-77-bronco-chassis/ One way to look past bilsteins and bushings.. %)%)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes sir. And can definitely go 65 plus if set up properly

With all of the steering parts, suspension bushings, brakes and shocks being in good shape along with proper front end alignment they are not scary at all. Mine is way more modified then most any you will find built for any purpose and it has seen triple digits and is as stable and comfortable as it is at 25 or going down a 10 rated trail, occasionally all in the same day

Worn steering parts, unevenly adjusted brakes, poor shocks (or shock layout issues) and poor alignment all greatly contribute to being scary. There are a lot of these trucks that have has so many incorrect repairs or modifications done that they truly are scary. But with everything in good shape and correct they drive very nice, better than a brand new off the showroom Heep.

OP
OP
B

Buck.n.Bronco

Funny. This shop from this link is literally in the town I grew up... What are the odds of that?!

Y'all have some great perspectives and this gives me some indication of what is possible.

@nvrstuk - I am curious what wheelbase you have on yours with those 40-in tires.

Update: I actually was taking measurements with my mechanic today.

TIL-- it's actually lifted oddly enough in the front 3.25in and in the rear 1.75in. I'm not really sure if that was just a half a** job from the previous owner or there was a purpose behind that lift ratio... It was a land surveyor vehicle prior to my ownership.

Nonetheless I'm going to get both front and rear essentially done at 2in equal, as I think that will provide a median level of stability re baseline for my 33-in tires. I will then have to realign + retune the caster settings for it now I know, and begin the journey towards known stability tweaks over the next 15 years

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I dont have any issue cruising 70-75 on the highway. 3.50 gears, stock 3 speed, full roller 302 with mustang EFI. Vacuum brakes, 77 disks up front with thunderbird calipers, stock drums in the back. 3.5" suspension lift with 33" tires, 15x10 wheels. T linkage and good bushings. Its very comfy to drive.

It can be done without some of the more "extreme" mods.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
While being able to keep up with the speed of modern traffic is nice and sometimes safer, one thing that is often over-looked is the ability to brake with modern traffic. You need to fix this before you need to worry about speed.

This is accurate.....
I have never worried as much about speed as I have stopping. Mine would cruise well at any speed but anything over 60 and stopping fast was scary.

Greg

nvrstuk

Contributor
Remember that prior to disc brakes cars (and race cars) could stop quickly and straight...but obviously disc brakes have an advantage with shedding heat. Well adjusted drums will stop you fast and straight.

You asked my WB. I stretched to 100" 3 years ago.

I drooled all over that RS page!!! Drop an EB body on that and have fun!! :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Wasn't that RS chassis under a Bronco at SEMA?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Wasn't that RS chassis under a Bronco at SEMA?

Missed last year, but the year before there were a few RS chassis at the show. One bare (I think that had a Mercruiser V8, a boat motor, in it) and a couple more built up.

Been thinking about the past. The best highway driving Broncos I have had were not lifted. Stock height. 31" and 33" tires. 100 MPH no problem. I remember doing a max speed run while towing a trailer. 88MPH downhill. Repeated hill after hill, that was as fast as it would go. With a fresh engine and without a trailer it did 100 MPH drama free.

Then I added a lift. Off-road was better, didn't drag as much. Traffic circles, I think I was grinding the chrome off the door handles going through them. It rode nice. 70-75 was fine. 80 was starting to get sketchy. Only did 100 once after the lift. Lots of air packing under the front causing lift. It struggled a lot harder with all that drag. Hit the number, lifted, never did that again. It was all good bushings, all the steering and track bar were dialed in. It was the lift that made it horrible at speed.

In general I hated the lift. Loved it off-road. It was a nicer ride on-road. Around town driving suffered. Highway driving suffered. Didn't need it for tire clearance, was running 33s without the lift.

As for 4-linking the rear. Be very careful with that plan. Most of that is for better off-road articulation. Leaf springs have a natural sway bar effect. You will be removing that. If you look at Ram trucks (1500 and 2500) they had to go to a rear sway bar when they 4-linked and coiled the rear suspension. That better be part of the plan. I think Duff is the only one who has a street version of a 4-link.

4-wheel disks are not necessary better. They might be better, they could be a lot worse. There is a LOT that goes into a well balanced brake system. Rears being drum or disk isn't much of a factor in that. The rears of a Bronco do such a small percentage of the overall braking. and if you want a really good parking brake it is hard to beat the original rear drum brakes.
Add in if the suspension isn't well controlled having great brakes can make it worse. Jump on the brakes and have the suspension shift around as the brake load is applied. That could set whole new levels of scary.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Heres a pic of a commissioned build. I heard that it was close to $500k

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200905-093650_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20200905-093650_Messenger.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 29