• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Wiring Diagram

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...I'll be dismantling the book and putting into document protectors... This not only keeps greasy finger prints off, I can take the page I need out of the binder and into the work area. I'll scan anything I think would be of interest, or if you need something in particular would gladly scan that as well.
I don't need any right now - I just assumed you'd scan them to preserve & share them. IMO, it's cheaper & easier than fighting page protectors. Just print the page you need, get it as greasy as you want, and toss it when you're done - you still have the original digitally-clean for next time, or to send to everyone else. That's why I keep mine online. ;D

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I guess I ASSumed since my 66 shop manual had diagrams, that surely a 72 manual, broken up into volumes no less, would have even better ones! Oh well only cost me 10 bucks, sure I'll find some use for it. A super outstanding member is sending me hers to 'borrow' ;D for a bit

Nice find sykanr0ng, those look very interesting. I've got access to a laminator at work ;) maybe I'll make my own

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Mary you are too kind, appreciate ya!

Look what I found on the porch this morning!

Many years ago I got a complete set of shop manuals for a F100 pickup I bought. It covered everything from Bronco to the F9000. Truck eventually was sold (darn) but I kept the shop manual. I comes in so handy while working on my Broncos (that I didn't own then)(another darn).

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
"And one to grow on" was an extra swat administered after birthday spankings (one swat for each year of age). Can't do it now, that'd be either child abuse or sexual harassment.

And now the school teachers are required to erase the board by moving the eraser vertically, because to do so horizontally makes their butt move in a provocative manner

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many years ago I got a complete set of shop manuals for a F100 pickup I bought. It covered everything from Bronco to the F9000. Truck eventually was sold (darn) but I kept the shop manual. I comes in so handy while working on my Broncos (that I didn't own then)(another darn).

Hindsight is always 20/20. There’s more than a few things we’d all have done differently, right? But it could be much worse.......at least you have one now!! ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And now the school teachers are required to erase the board by moving the eraser vertically, because to do so horizontally makes their butt move in a provocative manner

Holy crap. The think of everything now don't they!
Heck, if the kids weren't exposed to so much of the suggestions of sex just watching "family time" TV and of course all the content on the internet, they wouldn't even know to think those provocative thoughts in elementary school!
Well, some will always know, but most of them would not have back when I went through school. Just hadn't been exposed to it constantly like kids are now.

As pretty as she was, the hottest thing about my 4th grade teacher was that she drove a Dark Blue/Green '65 Mustang GT! Had most of the options, including a (dealer installed maybe?) rear deck luggage rack and the GT wheels. Those chrome exhaust tips poking out the back were very cool for those of us that liked cars already. Must've been a late bloomer, 'cause I didn't even think of the sexual connotations of all of that!

Maybe 'cause I didn't have the "wiring diagrams" for all of that grownup stuff yet?
Thought I'd better keep it on-topic...;)

Paul

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I need to start figuring out the wiring on my '72 (or very early '73). Does anyone know if the diagrams posted above have been updated?

Thanks!

Scott

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most of the posted diagrams are etched in stone from decades of neglect. However, there are versions that have been updated such as the ones on Steve83's SuperMotors pages where he's posted up some really intricately re-organized and colorized versions of what was in the old service manuals.
Even the early ones from Seabiscuit68 were updated just a couple of years ago (seabicuit68@tripod.com) and will also serve you well.
You may have to use both, and luckily the wire colors stayed mostly the same. But even though the '72 model was very little changed from the '71 model, the wiring diagrams were buggered up at the factory during that transition.

All the books at the time showed the old diagram ('66 through '70) as being the same for '71. Which it is not, because the '71 Broncos got the updated harness design. Then for '72 they changed the way they lay out diagrams completely. Confusing the matter even more.
But '72 did get it's own diagram, so those should be your first go-to in order to get a feel for things.

You say yours is either a '72 or a '73, but what month was it built and more importantly (sometimes) does your VIN have a "P" or a "Q" in the sixth position ahead of the numbers? Did we discuss yours just recently? If so I think it was a '72 based on the type of connector and the "P" in the VIN?
There are some notable differences between the wiring of a '72 and that of a '73, so it helps to know for sure.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
color coded mods to the diagrams were a lifesaver on my 73, odd ball of the bunch.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Most of the posted diagrams are etched in stone from decades of neglect. However, there are versions that have been updated such as the ones on Steve83's SuperMotors pages where he's posted up some really intricately re-organized and colorized versions of what was in the old service manuals.
Even the early ones from Seabiscuit68 were updated just a couple of years ago (seabicuit68@tripod.com) and will also serve you well.
You may have to use both, and luckily the wire colors stayed mostly the same. But even though the '72 model was very little changed from the '71 model, the wiring diagrams were buggered up at the factory during that transition.

All the books at the time showed the old diagram ('66 through '70) as being the same for '71. Which it is not, because the '71 Broncos got the updated harness design. Then for '72 they changed the way they lay out diagrams completely. Confusing the matter even more.
But '72 did get it's own diagram, so those should be your first go-to in order to get a feel for things.

You say yours is either a '72 or a '73, but what month was it built and more importantly (sometimes) does your VIN have a "P" or a "Q" in the sixth position ahead of the numbers? Did we discuss yours just recently? If so I think it was a '72 based on the type of connector and the "P" in the VIN?
There are some notable differences between the wiring of a '72 and that of a '73, so it helps to know for sure.

Paul

Paul -

It is an October build, P89XXX.

We discussed it in the recent thread about transmission linkage bushings. Mine has the '73 and later style bushings.

Thanks!

Scott

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I saw a connector recently though that was the old style. Think that was yours as well?
Here's the type of connector that tells me that the wiring is a '73 or later:

IMG_0838 (Large).jpg

I refer to them as "Dura Spark" type connectors. While the ones in the pic are in fact the ones for the ignition, Ford also went to this type for the main connectors over on the passenger side for battery and alternator connections as well.
If you have those then I would consider using the '73 wiring diagrams. If yours look more old-fashioned and are generally flat or square, then you have the earlier style for '72 and '71.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just goes to show that yours is already seeing some of the newer stuff (shift bushings) but not all.
It's probably got the hole for the cold-air intake snorkel and the bump-out for the power steering box too, even though those would not normally have been available on a "P" VIN truck.
However even that has proven out I think to not be the case during your production month. Some '72's got auto transmissions and power steering.

Paul

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I think I saw a connector recently though that was the old style. Think that was yours as well?
Here's the type of connector that tells me that the wiring is a '73 or later:

View attachment 512340

I refer to them as "Dura Spark" type connectors. While the ones in the pic are in fact the ones for the ignition, Ford also went to this type for the main connectors over on the passenger side for battery and alternator connections as well.
If you have those then I would consider using the '73 wiring diagrams. If yours look more old-fashioned and are generally flat or square, then you have the earlier style for '72 and '71.

Paul

Paul -

Excellent info. I have the flat style connectors. I'll go with the '71-'72 diagrams.

Thanks again!

Scott

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Just goes to show that yours is already seeing some of the newer stuff (shift bushings) but not all.
It's probably got the hole for the cold-air intake snorkel and the bump-out for the power steering box too, even though those would not normally have been available on a "P" VIN truck.
However even that has proven out I think to not be the case during your production month. Some '72's got auto transmissions and power steering.

Paul

Ok, now I'm curious. I'll have to compare the frame with my '68 to see if I have a bump-out for P/S. Where would I find said hole for cold air intake snorkel?

Scott