• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco's getting stolen much?

volnut77

Loc.
knoxville
I'm working on my first bronco. Doing a frame off. How often do these refurbished rigs get stolen?

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Once in a while they do, and there is an endless supply of titles and glove boxes for sale to accomidate them

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have not heard of many getting stolen locally, but even one getting stolen is too many! I keep mine locked up inside the garage when I'm not driving it... They are certainly not a difficult vehicle for someone to steal and God help the fool who tries to take mine if I'm home!

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
someone has tried a few times on mine... we have some renters in the area as well as some teens, but thankfully i have 4 boxers that make noise and scare the would be theifs away.

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
as you have always heard - it's location, location, location.
Fortunately i live in an area that has no problems with this. 4 wheelers are another story.

BroncoBoy72

Loc.
Marana Arizona
Yea I am scared to death that once my Bronco is done someone is going to steal it. I live in the #1 city in the nation for car thefts... As mentioned above they just end up stripping them and scrapping the rest..

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
As long as you're doing a frame off, why not install a kill switch? Sure, it takes away from the "original", but that's a small price to pay to know that no one is going to just hop in and take off in it.

And if you are REALLY concerned, there are LoJack-like systems you can have installed to help you recover your Bronco in case of theft. Some of these systems require a subscription, like your ADT home security, to use. Others work on a pay for service type plan, where you only activate it when you want/need it.

Just make sure it is installed in a location where it will not easily be found by a thief/teenager with lead foot.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Just shut the fuel off they will get less than a mile away, they will never figure out how too get it to work! Shut it took me a month lol!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It depends on how you do your refurb. You can make it shiny & pretty, but if you customize it right, nothing will have ANY value, except if it stays attached to that truck. Frank's engine & trans are nearly stock for what they are, so they're not worth stealing. But if they stay in his truck, it's worth over $30K. Same for most of the other parts - they fit his truck, and make it really nice & comfortable, but they have no value if removed. And if you tried to sell any parts off his truck, it'd be really easy to spot them because of how they're tweaked. So think about how to make your truck unique, and it won't be as attractive to thieves who want parts. A kill switch, fuel valve, or modern EFI/ignition system will stop joy-riders. And you're not close enough to a border to worry about it being exported.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I don't think there has been but about 4 or 5 stolen since I've been a reader here. I think Seabisquit68 was the 1st one stolen & I think his was found about 3 years later some one can correct me on that .. Did no good for it to be found it was trashed. Another neat part of that story was how the members here send a lot of replacement parts.