• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build cost

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
I am interested in what others have spent on their rigs.

Here is what I spent from all my old receipts.

I did not have a garage loaded with tools nor did I have the time as I was working 60 hours a week in the Inv. Banking world. I oversaw the build with a local hot rod guy and verified every minute of the build. He was $60/hr which was a good deal in my area. This build was in 1996 as well. It was completed 3 months from when I dropped off the starter vehicle.

This started as a great running 302 in a 69 with Kentrol glass body. Art's auto bills also included 5 A/R ventura wheels and 5 BFG 32x11.5 BFG AT. proflow hood, glass grill, front disc kit and a new windshield glass welding cage painting & installing it.

I priced out building a complete new bronco from all new parts including new frame, crate 302, new AOD, new Atlas 2,new glass body all new parts. It came to $57,550 for all the parts and $26,000 in labor to have Art asseble and paint it.

Goal was for a pristine daily driver.

For the guys who do all their own work what is the going rate in your area and how many hours have you spent?

$6,300.00 Original purchase price 69 fiberglass 302
$1,870.00 Art's Auto Body work etc…
$224.00 Summitt Aircraft switches,lights etc…
$2,006.73 Audio Concepts Stereo and installation
$116.00 Summitt Coil wires plugs etc…
$1,128.57 Central Garage labor for c-4 swap

$86.00 Wildhorses- Windshield seal
$93.22 KBARS Pk lamp pads rr view mirrors
$188.26 R&S Speed Grant wheel & horn kit
$194.97 KBARS Smittybuilt nerf bars
$452.49 Wildhorses Centech wiring harness
$190.50 Juliano's Hot Rods shoulder belts
$68.99 Wild Horses Bikini Top
$2,194.82 Arts Auto Dash build stainless parts & labor- Harness install
$429.00 Don's Automotive VDO Gauges
$39.95 Northcoast performance Lighted ford logo
$61.49 James Duff Trac bar bushings,c bushings, rad arm bushing
$94.88 IDIDIT Rag joint
$24.00 Wildhorses Hood & tailgate bumper bushings
$162.48 Wildhorses Cage kit-windshield seal
$1,154.96 Wildhorses Front & Rear prerunner bumpers-light bar tire&gas carrier
$259.00 KBARS Carpet Kit
$57.97 Wildhorses Kick down lever
$428.00 Tatco c-4 rebuild with shift kit
$100.60 James Duff Locking center console
$832.02 KBARS Beard seats,bracket,rear cover,dash pad,wiper cover
$472.95 Wildhorses flexplate bolts, starter,4 core radiator
$298.00 Jeff's Bronco Graveyard Fiberglass windshield frame & hinge
$119.60 James Duff Diamond Plate tailgate cover
$42.99 Wildhorses Poly Hood pins
$847.80 James Duff Roadster kit STC
$232.88 Wildhorses Shocks,boots stabilizer
$646.25 IDIDIT A/T Column-tilt
$153.20 Wildhorses Bronco script,302 emblem
$1,135.00 Art's Auto Labor-installation
$787.25 Art's Auto Labor-installation
$1,500.00 Art's Auto Labor-Frame work & paint
$1,015.00 Art's Auto Labor-parts installation
$1,500.00 Art's Auto Labor-parts paint
$1,500.00 Art's Auto Labor-Block/paint
$2,000.00 Art's Auto Labor-Block/paint
$3,370.00 Art's Auto Labor-Block/paint
$12.00 Lauderdale speedomoter Cable
$154.00 Tom's Parts Turn signal lens & housing
$34,975.17 TOTAL

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Looks like labor is about 40% of your cost...

Learn new skills and having the time to do it yourself will cut the costs a whole lot..........

Today my time was worth $100. an hour, other days it can be $25.
Most times work is based on the task and what needs to be done.
Today was a good day for me at work.

There is those few times where I will pay someone to do the work for if it is simple enough and I can go the work and earn more....

Sometimes it's favors, you know "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" or trades for parts needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Incognito

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
Labor

Most of that labor was for the block/sand prep for the glass body. They take alot of work to get the glass ready (and acceptable to me). It was blocked 3 times, color sanded etc... $9,000 in labor at any shop. I got other quotes ranging from $7,500 -$14,000 for that paint job. If you look in my gallery you can see better detail on the quality of the paint job. I did as many small things like install dash pad and wiper cover but I left 90% of it to him.

Also if you look the door inserts were glassed in. There was alot of detail work.

TM Toys

Loc.
Barboursville , VA
I brought a 68 this year that had been "restored" {highly used phrase} 4 yrs ago. Great deal I thought 5k . Now 5 months into my project I have spent another 7k. I avg. 10-25 hrs a week on my rig now, putting it back together w/ as many new parts as I can afford. I'm hoping to have help when I convert the front over to disc bkts, install new bushings, and lift . Labor rate here $65./75. hr.. Being a landscaper money has been a issue all year, w/ the drought. On the other hand gave me ample time to tinker..

You have a nice EB , I only wish I could afford to pay someone to finish mine..
Back to the garage for me !!! Hope to post pic's soon..

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I probably have about 10k in each bronco. Both are totally gone thru on the mechanical side. Both have 351w, 4spd, centech harnesses, DUI ignition, 4wheel power disc(would hydroboost next time),power steering, 3 1/2" susp. lift, 1"BL on the 66, 2" BL on the 72, custom cages and bumpers, upgraded seats and harnesses, and a few other extras. The only thing they lack is paint.If you added in all my labor it would most likely double the price of each. We do plan on throwing some paint on the 66 being the wifes DD which will probably cost 2k. I don't plan on a nice paint job for my 72 since it's geared more for play.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I don't even want to know at this point.

clownshoe

Loc.
Crofton, MD
I think with the break conversion I just ordered I am about to crack the 11k mark. I got plans to put about another 3-5k including paint and then get screwed hard when I go to sell it in a few years :*(

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I've got at least $13K into mine, probably another 6-7K to finish the job. Doing everything myself (including paint.)

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
On my 66 project I have spent an average of 15 to 20 Hours a week on her over the past 7 months ( things are slowing down now however). I have about 9 to 10 grand into her so far. I will probably be putting in another 5 to 7 depending on choices. Gets expensive doesnt it.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I quit counting at $14k - probably closing in on $20k. The cool thing is that I now know I can build a working vehicle from a pile of rusty parts. For just about every mod, there seems to be a pricey version and a budget way. An old boss of mine used to always say that poverty is the mother of creativity (usually at the time my budget was being cut).

kntr

Bronco Guru
It seems like $25k-$35k is the normal to complete one, correctly. I had $24k into one and drove it 65,000 miles and sold it for $12,500. Then another I had $26k into and drove it 500 miles and sold it for $14,000. All toys are money pits the good thing about a broncos is they hold their value.

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I think I am closing in on 42k (including the original purchase price). And another 8k to go.

It seems every part costs at least 50.00 for these trucks. I try to hide it from my wife!

Matt

Goin Off Bronco

Loc.
Torrance, Ca
WOW ! I must be at the top of spending...... PARTS BILL hit nearly 80k on the BroncoNator....I indeed did the engineering, most of the fabrication, and all of the labor to assemble...... Paint was sublet to the tune of 9k. Free was many components ..... Only original parts from the 1968 EB starting point were the frame, tub, some sheetmetal and the Dana 44 housing, front hubs and the core Dana 20.... Vote me.