• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build or Buy Axles?

BigBlueBronco71

Loc.
Santa Maria, CA
The Plan: I'd like to run dana 44 (have 30 now) and 9in, disk brakes, 33s now and possibly 35s in the far future, 31 spline, chromo axles, tru trac rear and lunchbox/auto locker up front, I want to be able to drive to the trail and then do some moderate/advanced wheeling (50/50 on/off road), nothing too extreme, and I think reasonably built EB axles will do just fine, don't want full width or dana 60 or anything like that

The Question: Should I build my own axles or buy crate axles with all the goodies? Can I build sweet axles for the same price or cheaper than ones fully built from TBP, Currie, etc.? (3-4K) I want them to be pretty strong/bullet proof

I'd like to do all the work I can and learn about the axles but I don't have the major tools to do the major work like bearing puller, press, indicator, etc. and am concerned the price of the tools will exceed the axle work

So what do you think, built or bought??

Bferrari

If you are interested in learning the process the I would build them yourself. I've got all the tools needed and wouldn't mind giving you a hand. Just finishing mine up as we speak!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It's always cheaper to DIY, even if you factor in buying the tools needed. You can spend money on lockers instead of labor. IMO you can't beat a Detroit locker in the rear for what your describing. I've had mine in my Bronco almost as long as I've had the Bronco (close to 10 years) and I don't even think twice about it, it just works. I recently added a lunchbox locker in the front and frankly the jury is still out? I have some 'grabby' stearing and a ton of squealing tire noise on rocks. Yes it works and it works well, but a selectable unit of some sort would be much better. Saving labor dollars can pay for a nicer locker up front.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I have $2,700 in my pair of axles and everything is brand new. 4:56 ring and pinion, 31 spline axles, TrueTrac rear, Detroit locker front, all new bearings and seals, new ball joints, disc brakes in the front with the Tbird calipers from BCB, heavy duty shafts in the front, and Mile Marker hubs. Plus tie rod over conversion. I bought all the parts and paid a friend with a lot of experience to set up the gears for me.

Just be careful who you select to set up your gears for you and pay a little more for the experience of a professional. It's worth it.

OP
OP
BigBlueBronco71

BigBlueBronco71

Loc.
Santa Maria, CA
I have $2,700 in my pair of axles and everything is brand new. 4:56 ring and pinion, 31 spline axles, TrueTrac rear, Detroit locker front, all new bearings and seals, new ball joints, disc brakes in the front with the Tbird calipers from BCB, heavy duty shafts in the front, and Mile Marker hubs. Plus tie rod over conversion. I bought all the parts and paid a friend with a lot of experience to set up the gears for me.

Just be careful who you select to set up your gears for you and pay a little more for the experience of a professional. It's worth it.

Sounds almost exactly like what I want to do, very reasonable price for both axles built well

Seems like building is the way to go, cheaper, a learning experience, and can build what I want

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Really the only special tools you'll need involve setting up the gears, and that's best left to someone with experience.
Start buying parts and go turn some wrenches.

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
I had mine built. Too much money in parts to screw it up. 4.56 in the rear, true track front and back, 31 spline, new axles front and rear. Steve AWS took on the job for a reasonable cost.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

hmh800

I spent less than $300 in tools to set up my R&P. I say do it yourself! It's not that hard, just have to be patient, and be willing to take it back apart for the 8th time if that's what it takes. It's not rocket science.

OP
OP
BigBlueBronco71

BigBlueBronco71

Loc.
Santa Maria, CA
Looks like I'll be building! Did a bunch of research and doesn't seem too bad, just gotta be patient like y'all said.

Now I just need to find the axles! Anyone got a 44 and BB 9 haha

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The 44 housings pop up on here often enough. Then go to boneyard for brakes and buy a set of moly axles. For rear at minimum get a big bearing housing preferably a 77.the 77 rears are getting tough to find. Boneyard for brakes there to if going disc.