• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Building custom exhaust w/mustang parts. How should I exit?

tdog

Hello,
Working on a 1969 Bronco with a 302. Took off all the old exhaust and attempting to build a system with take off parts and pieces. Where should I exit?

In front of rear tire? Will fumes be bad w top off?

Behind the rear tire and turn it at a 90 and exit it out the side? This seems most popular.

Straight out the back? Will fumes come in with top off while driving? I have tailpipes that would make this way the perfered way.

Any help would be great! Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Out the side either in front or behind tire is better than straight out the back.

tortuga

I would picture your bronco driving off a ledge and figure out your exit point accordingly. For me, that rules out rear exit. In front of the right rear works for me.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks for the response. Is straight out the back bad because of fumes? Or just not cool?

Fumes. Out the side seems to dilute the fumes with fresh air before it gets sucked into the back.

MattW

Mine runs out the side before the rear tires. It works, but I plan on running it out the sides behind the tires in the near future.

broncobilly72

Out behind the rear tires.......in front is too noisy in the cab and it resonates off the ground.

BOSSHOSS74

Loc.
Menifee, Ca
On my 69' it exits before the tires, bad fumes with just door inserts
74' has doors and barely smell the fumes

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Exit behind the passenger rear tire.

I've had setups that exited out back and before the tires.

Before the tires was too loud and the exhaust would get on your clothes if you got in/out while the truck was running.

Striaght out the back was fine for me but many complain about the fumes.

The best solution in my opinon is a 2-into-1 exiting behind the rear passenger tire.

OP
OP
T

tdog

Thanks for the help guys. I have started the process. For now the plan is exit behind the rear tires. Starting with some headers off a Fox body mustang 1987 5.0. The headers are MAC un-equal length. They were free from a friend. Broken studs and the bells on the end where the H pipe mates up have been crushed. Perfect set to cut on. Doing this one on the cheap fellas.

Comparing the left header and the stocker manifold
IMG_20110227_165700.jpg

IMG_20110227_165708.jpg

Cut of stud ring
IMG_20110227_180804.jpg

Decided to cut off front tube and move header forward on the head.
IMG_20110227_185056.jpg

After mounting in the Bronco started to shape the collector at the right angle to miss the clutch linkage
IMG_20110301_211950.jpg

IMG_underside.jpg

Mounted on extra head to plan out last tube
IMG_20110308_212154.jpg

Purchased $5 sbc header to cut apart that 1 5/8 primary tubes. Sand blasted pieces for use
sbc+5+dollar+header.jpg

Header all mocked up ready to weld
on+head+pic+1.jpg

on+head+pic+2.jpg

Ratch

Contributor
Looks good, just make sure you do a good test fit with the engine in.

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
ok, tack that up, but wait till the Motor is in prior to final welding, check clearances. if you wanna keep your sanity, and the stereo turned down, get that tail pipe AS FAR AWAY from the drivers seat as possible.
2 into one exhaust has been documented to increase HP due to some Scavenging. if you're putting in a mild 302, a 2 into 1 with a 3" tailpipe should be fine. a built Mill, may need to breath a bit more, and the square inch area of 2-2.5" pipes = 1-3.5" tailpipe. SpinTech has a Really nice muffler that does the 2 in, and Single out in both 3" and 3.5".

Then, there's away the advantage of the New Oval 5" pipe.

Going strait out the back has 2 problems, Smashing it off-roading, and, those Hot days, with the Tail Window open, the exhaust will roll back into the Cab,... (Causes Drowsiness =0 )

OP
OP
T

tdog

Thanks for the info guys. The 302 is still in the truck (Engine locked up). So I have been taking the headers in and out. the head on the bench is an extra that I am using to keep the tubes from pulling around when I weld it up. Going with dual with a H. Installing a stock 83 302 out of a mustang. Engine is a stock 4V with roller rockers. 175 hp. Gulp! Planning on using stock 05 Mustang GT mufflers, dynomax or flowmasters. Have in them in a stash. leaning towards the Ford stockers or dynomax. Not looking for anything super loud. just a nice rumble.