• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Built my own tubing bender - UPDATE works like a charm I highly recommend

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Well I am cheap and like to pretend I know how to fab so I decided to build my own tubing bender. Here are the pics. I just have it tacked together to make sure all moves accordingly will weld it up tomorrow and test it out on a tube front end for my 74. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Looks real good. I got mine yesterday but ive not tried it yet. I have 160 ft of tubing. I wonder how much ill ruin before i figure it out.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
You're the man!! Looks awesome!! Let us know how it works. Want to bend me some parts to make some tube doors? ;D Was it a kit or did you have some plans for it? Or did you just design it yourself?

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
crawln68 said:
You're the man!! Looks awesome!! Let us know how it works. Want to bend me some parts to make some tube doors? ;D Was it a kit or did you have some plans for it? Or did you just design it yourself?

Bought the plans off ebay. I have a $100 in material plus the die so was more along my budget. But who knows it could come crashing down the first bend I try so we will see :eek:

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Flash69 said:
Looks real good. I got mine yesterday but ive not tried it yet. I have 160 ft of tubing. I wonder how much ill ruin before i figure it out.

I bought the Bend Tech EZ 3D software so after I calibrate the bender and softare should go good.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
When you put the pipe in the bender do you have to take the strap off the end of the die and put it back on or do you just slide the pipe in it? Like i said ive not tried mine yet.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
that's exciting!
How much did the plans run you - if you don't mind me asking?

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
that's very cool !!!! Please tell all of us where and what we would need to do it ourself...if you don't mind..

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Most impressive. Please take the time after you get it calibrated and make a project or two and give us a complete writeup. Would make a great article for BD.

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Flash69 said:
When you put the pipe in the bender do you have to take the strap off the end of the die and put it back on or do you just slide the pipe in it? Like i said ive not tried mine yet.

I have not used a bender before so don't have a clue. Will probably not get around to using it till next weekend. If you don't use yours by then I will let ya know.

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
blazinchuck said:
that's very cool !!!! Please tell all of us where and what we would need to do it ourself...if you don't mind..

1. Buy plans or design your own
  2. Buy steel needed for bender
    • I used 2x2x.25" sqaure tubing and 2.5" x 3/4" flat stock
  3. Drill holes for pins
  4. Weld her up
  5. Get Hydraulic ram - I used an 8 ton from my engine hoist
  6. Buy a die - I used a Pro Tools 1.75" x 6" x 240 Degree

Wasn't hard but was a little time consuming drilling all the holes. ;)

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Well bent my first 90 to calibrate my software to the bender. Worked very well. 1st project will be tube front end out of 1.75" x .120 wall HREW ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 121

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Tgure said:
Well bent my first 90 to calibrate my software to the bender. Worked very well. 1st project will be tube front end out of 1.75" x .120 wall HREW ;D
That looked good...How does the software work and how much was it. Oh-yeah, what's the name of it?

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
blazinchuck said:
That looked good...How does the software work and how much was it. Oh-yeah, what's the name of it?

CLICK HERE I got the 3D version, I may upgrade to pro though just for the assembly feature to see what it looks like before I build something

OP
OP
Tgure

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Finally got around to making something. Here is a couple shots of my tube core support and mounting brackets I made.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 133

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
Any more updates on this. I am looking into getting a bender or building one like this. Just curious since it has been a few months now how you like it.