• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

burning oil! *ugh*

daveCFPrez

Loc.
Federal Way
I'm going to assume its the valve seals? (newer 302, I'm wondering just how on a newer engine the valve seals go bad so quick?)

Since I'm no mechanic, I guess I'll start calling around to see what this'll cost me.

I don't have the tools, knowledge, or space for a DIY, so I'm courious as to what you guys think this should cost me?

thanks in advance

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
i would check a few things out before just guessing or you may be setting yourself up for a good reaming unless you know the mechanic. One easy way to tell if its valve seals is if it smokes (puffs)alot on first start up. excess oil seeps around seals then burns off quick on start up. Bad rings smoke all the time. Not too sure on a price though.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What are you calling a newer engine? The last new 5.0s are 11 years old already. Actual 302's are almost 30 years old.
Anyhow seals can go bad even on "newer" motors. Might even just be the valve guides are worn out maybe someone redid the heads but did little more than a valve job and new seals. bad vavle guides will also produce smoke.

broncobilly72

Is a a stick or automatic? Automatics that loose the modulator valve give off a blue smoke...sucking tranny fluid into the intake.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
The PCV valve might help. This happened to me and I added another breather type oil cap (PCV style) instead of the sealed cap. This stopped the oil from coming out the dip stick tube but I could see what looked like exhaust coming out of the hole with pressure. I drove it this way for a while but oil started spitting out the hole. Since there seems to be an issue, I pulled the intake off to find out that the gasket was blown out in the middle on the drivers side. This is where the exhaust travels into the intake to warm the underside of the carb. When the gasket blew out, the exhaust was now pumping into the engine galley. This was causing positive crank case pressure and it had to escape somewhere. The dipstick tube is the easiest, then the PCV valve clogs and stops working and it becomes worse.
I always check to make sure the 2 middle bolts that hold the intake on are always tight. I have a feeling this could be a cause of a warped or bad intake. The exhaust puts alot of heat into that area. I've had this happen twice. Once on my old engine and again on my new engine but I reused my intake. I replaced it and am still waiting for it to have the same issue. Time will tell. I use mine offroad so it overheats on occations which could be causing these issues.