• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Burning oil!

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
V8 with tru dual exhaust both sides smoking bad. Checked compression had 140 on all. Valve seals appear good. Engine does not run hot. But is burning oil like crazy.! Any thoughts

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Pull each spark plug that may narrow down the cylinder/s. Might be bad valve seals they get old crumble and tend to block the oil return passages so the valve cover fills with oil and makes it easier for oil to get sucked down. Might want to pull a valve cover.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Mine was burning a lot of oil for a while - traced the problem back to the PCV system. I discovered that my valve covers were the non-baffled type. Oil was splashing up to the base of the PCV valve which under vacuum was pulling oil into the vacuum port on the carb. I added baffles to my covers and the problem immediately ceased and my engine went back to burning virtually no oil.

Same situation as you - good compression numbers on all 8 cylinders.

Hope its something similarly easy for you. Certainly doesn't sound like rings.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Sounds like PCV, good compression and valve seals = PCV

OP
OP
M

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
its been a while back but finally found the problem just thought id let u guys know what it was . the oil rings lost there temper was def a odd one

bigdaddyof4

Loc.
Vincennes, IN
Does it have an automatic transmission with vacuum advance? If so check to make sure it is not sucking up the transmission fluid.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D:D:D Two things come to mind valve seals bad and or PCV valve stuck open. Good luck.:cool::cool::cool: Bill :D;D:cool:

OP
OP
M

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
Valve seals were good and PVC was good. A guy in West Virginia told me to change the rings cause they had to have lost temper. Put new rings in and no more smoke. It was a new one by me but after he explained it it made since and it cured it!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
its been a while back but finally found the problem just thought id let u guys know what it was . the oil rings lost there temper was def a odd one

Not as odd as you think. I recently rebuilt (re-ringed) an '89 Mustang HO engine that was relatively low mileage and (after tearing it down) exhibited flawless cross-hatched cylinder walls.

But it had very lame compression and burned oil before the teardown. The cause...annealed rings...zippy ring tension.

bdog9seclx

Mine was burning a lot of oil for a while - traced the problem back to the PCV system. I discovered that my valve covers were the non-baffled type. Oil was splashing up to the base of the PCV valve which under vacuum was pulling oil into the vacuum port on the carb. I added baffles to my covers and the problem immediately ceased and my engine went back to burning virtually no oil.

Same situation as you - good compression numbers on all 8 cylinders.

Hope its something similarly easy for you. Certainly doesn't sound like rings.

Can someone help describe how to check to see if the PCV checks out? I did find a couple hoses unattached maybe the reason im having the issue.