• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bushings Are Not Fun...Some pix, more to come.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Yay!

You are now a mechanic.

Next is body mount replacement to complete your initiation into the Bronco Brotherhood.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Yay!

You are now a mechanic.

Next is body mount replacement to complete your initiation into the Bronco Brotherhood.

HAhaha, hope he saved a few of those choice words for that task...oh the early days ;D ;D ;D
If you have a compressor go to HArbor Freight and get you some air tools like an air chisel (this one is fun) and impact gun and other little things that spark your interest (dont forget tool oil). I usually pay the extra $5 to get the warranty since you will likely break the chinese crap but keep returning them and you are good ;D

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
my occupation? i'm transitioning out of active duty USMC.

have you taken it to the base hobby shop? I don't know what it's like on the east coast but here in Pendleton my bronco has been there a week getting all sorts of stuff done I have all the tools I can imagine and it only cost me 6 bucks a day and there are a lot of guys that work there that are a big help, maybe there is something like that there?

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
there is on base, but i'm in charlotte, nc. about 5 or 6 hours from CLNC.

so in *theory* the pitman arm should just lift straight off the draglink once the castle nut is removed...right?

thanks, mark, but i don't think i'm ready for "mechanic" designation quite yet! body mounts next week! :cool:

NYLES

Bronco Guru
keep the hammer out, and dont smak it without the nut on it, booger up the threads without the nut! should be done with a fork wrench

you mean you been at the pitman arm with the drag link still attached?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
my occupation? i'm transitioning out of active duty USMC. i'm an ammo tech by trade, but all my deployments have been with provisional rifle companies or field MPs.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!! i took my new 3# BFH and wailed the living $^#@ out of it. slid off after about the 10th whack. ;D :cool:

well in that case you could have blown or shot it off;D glad you got it off

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
I LOVE MY BFH!!!!!!! dang, it can do anything! draglink...DONE!;D

now, finally i can proceed with the rest of the c bushing replacement!

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I used a gear puller and an impact gun to get mine off. I remember it took some creativity w/ the gear puller arms, but it worked.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
keep the hammer out, and dont smak it without the nut on it, booger up the threads without the nut! should be done with a fork wrench

you mean you been at the pitman arm with the drag link still attached?

oops...yep. i know, backwards. live n learn.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
brake lines and such

the (vent?) line coming out of the differential seems pretty straightforward, but how about the brake lines? easiest place to disconnect them?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
at the frame, remove bolt from frame and dissconnect line

70_Steve

Old Guy
the (vent?) line coming out of the differential seems pretty straightforward, but how about the brake lines? easiest place to disconnect them?
Hmm.. Been a while but it seems I disconnected the two hard lines from the block, then unbolted the block from the differential housing.

Edit. Or do it NYLES's way;)

NYLES

Bronco Guru
steve he's on the front axle...but your way will work too.we just at diff ends of the line

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
whew! what a doozy!

i'd post some dang pix, but i can't seem to locate my camera.
well, here's where i'm at:
axle removed! radius arms removed and painted with a few coats of rustoleum. had to cut brake line, as the nut wouldn't come off. so tomorrow i'm off to the parts store to get some replacement brake line. other than that, everything went pretty smoothly. i think tomorrow will go pretty well. install all the new bushings and reattach everything!

interesting thing i discovered: i've got all kinds of old duff stuff underneath my front end. my duff shocks are really really old, and the bushings crumbled when i removed the shocks. so looks like new shocks are going to be needed. but there's all kinds of "duff blue" stuff underneath. the radius arms, radius arm caps, radius bolts (?!), drop track bar bracket, old "stock" pitman arm, coils. everything is duff blue, underneath grime and muck. once upon a time she must have looked grand.

well, i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!