• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bushings Are Not Fun...Some pix, more to come.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
weeeell, when i back the bolts out, the bottoms are a little chewed up. so i can just impact them in? you say the word, and i'll do it right now. bolts be damned! :cool:

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
the other six went in fine. these last two are giving me a bit of trouble. i've also tried putting the stock ones in, and they're getting chewed up, too. maybe because i had to use the breaker bar to get some of the bolts off? could that have screwed up the threads? either way, i'm out of good grade 8's. my last two got chewed on the bottom.

they go in about a quarter inch or so before i really have to work to get them to go. so i backed 'em out and the bottoms are chewed.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Might want to pull all of them back out so you can see if the threads are boogered up on the arm. If they are run a tap thru them to clean things up, then re assemble.

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
i'm replacing the stock ones with grade 8s. my project has come to a screeching halt until i figure out what to do about my bolt stripping situation. can i bust out the air tools and just force them in?

Unlike your pitman arm problem I wouldn't BFH it yet... Check your threads make sure there isn't a burr or just a peice of junk in there (like blue rubber). try running a bolt without the C cap on first... (guessing that are the ones your fighting... if you have a tap try to clean the threads out...

using your old hardware to start everything and bring it snug, then one for one swap to the new hardware... this worked for me because the original hardware on my last bronco had the alignment nub on the end of the bolt, if you don't have that it can be a bit of a pain to get one bolt started...

sounds like your kicking *ss and taking names, remember most people wouldn't even consider doing what we do on our own with our trucks! Keep up the good work!!!

If I was out in NC I would be right there with you!

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
the BFH way is so much more satisfying.

okay, took all the bolts out of that cap. tried to screw in a stock bolt by itself. still nothing. won't get but a turn or two.

what's the "retap" that i keep hearing about?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
chase the threads with a tap.
yup, more tools to buy, hardware store will hopefully have the tap with the correct thread and run it in to clean up the threads.
Take a bolt with the correct thread and tell the hardware guy what you intend to do, he'll match the bolt with the correct threaded tap.
Come on, it is really fun working on the Bronco. With me, nothing gets done on it, til I get pissed, cuss words fly that would make a sailor (or a marine) blush, and my eyes turn green and shit starts breaking!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I think I may detour thru Chatlotte on the 22nd and take a looksie and see your progress!! Wait, won't be a detour, I have a crew in Charlotte I have to check on. You pick a restaurant, I'll Buy dinner!!

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
cool! i'd love to show her off! i've got to work in greenville sc that day, but i can certainly come up to charlotte after work. maybe i can take a half day. putting a little pressure on me to make some noticable progress! :cool: ;D

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I will be in Raleigh on the 20th, Bluefield WV the 21st, Charlotte on the 22nd, and Ft. Bragg on the 23rd. But I am in that area a week a month.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
just be careful when you chase the threads with the tap, if you get it cross threaded it will cut new threads across the old ones and then you will be done for.

70_Steve

Old Guy
just be careful when you chase the threads with the tap, if you get it cross threaded it will cut new threads across the old ones and then you will be done for.
Just what I was thinking. Can't you run the tap in from the back? It would be slow going 'cause you'd have to use a wrench on the tap, but it would keep the tap in line with the good threads.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Just what I was thinking. Can't you run the tap in from the back? It would be slow going 'cause you'd have to use a wrench on the tap, but it would keep the tap in line with the good threads.

good idea! i'm on my way to get a tap right now. i'll let y'all know how it goes!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
get a can of kroil while you there.....give em a lil lude dude! second choice is break free

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
oh hell. the thing that looks like a broken washer is supposed to go on the head side of the bolt BEFORE the bolt is inserted, isn't it?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yep what he said if there isn't a nut it goes on the head end if there's a nut goes on nut side, this is a fun thread. just shows what can go wrong does go wrong

Revelation

Bronco Guru
So the tap cleaned it up for you?
Toolbox, your gonna need a bigger one!!