• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bushings Are Not Fun...Some pix, more to come.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
i'd post some dang pix, but i can't seem to locate my camera.
well, here's where i'm at:
axle removed! radius arms removed and painted with a few coats of rustoleum. had to cut brake line, as the nut wouldn't come off. so tomorrow i'm off to the parts store to get some replacement brake line. other than that, everything went pretty smoothly. i think tomorrow will go pretty well. install all the new bushings and reattach everything!

interesting thing i discovered: i've got all kinds of old duff stuff underneath my front end. my duff shocks are really really old, and the bushings crumbled when i removed the shocks. so looks like new shocks are going to be needed. but there's all kinds of "duff blue" stuff underneath. the radius arms, radius arm caps, radius bolts (?!), drop track bar bracket, old "stock" pitman arm, coils. everything is duff blue, underneath grime and muck. once upon a time she must have looked grand.

well, i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

It's always cool to find out stuff like that maybe some one did give it the duff treatment, I am sure you'll make it look nice again too, I found out mine was built by a first sergeant, he must have been supply.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
so let's talk about rolling those radius arms...

here's something i'm thinking about before i get crackin' again tomorrow morning:
i understand that i am to connect the radius arms and then roll the axle and ensure that the radius arms hit the ground at the same time so that they are level. well, the po trussed the axle from underneath. i know, i don't like it either, but i have to deal with it for now. so what do you think about doing the level on a string idea? works just as well?

i know, someone is going to tell me that since the axle is dropped, now is a good time to remove the truss. ;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Trusses are a two-edged sword. They're very desireable from a strength standpoint. It's just that the old style tend to hang lower.
What're you planning to do with the Bronco? If play in the rocks, then you might consider taking it off.
If playing in the sand or dirt roads/fire trails or other open terrain, leave it for now. Can't hurt.

Hmm, sounds like they had it all Duff'ed out. Of course, the blue was pretty much equated with "Ford", as was Duff. Maybe it's an old Duff vehicle? Or someone who went through the whole catalog and said "I want one of these, and one of these..." and probably got some good years of use out of it all.

As for your string method, nothing wrong with that. Just be as accurate as you can (as in all things in life!) and it should be good.
Umm, just how big IS this truss thingy, if it's keeping you from rolling the axle? Don't the drums/rotors hit the ground?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you've never put C-bushings on a Ford before, check, double-check and then triple-check the orientation.
Yeah, I know, they're simple and can only go on one of two ways. You'd be surprised though how many people check, then accidentally flip them end for end anyway. I just happens sometimes it seems.

What degree bushings are you going with? Is the truck lifted? Sorry if we've already gone over this. If so, I forgot the details.
Reason I ask is that many (probably MOST!) Broncos seem to have too little caster right from the factory. So the recommended bushings are often still too little to correct a pre-existing problem.
Worth knowing that stuff before you get it all back together I figure.

Paul

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
guess who's the idiot around here?
this guy!
<------------ ;D
thanks paul for making me realize that the axle is supposed to be completely on the ground, then i roll it over. for some reason i thought it was supposed to be supported by the jack under the pumpkin when i rolled it. sheesh...too much pounding with the BFH must have rattled my brain. %) well, that does make sense.

i've got a 3.5" suspension lift and 2" body lift. i'll be installing 7 degree bushings.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be just about right then. And yes, the bushings will likely squish out a bit on the edges. I don't think this is actually "right" but it's more common than not and doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

Paul

zbronc

Glad to hear you won the pitman arm battle.
Be sure to chip out the rust and scale that forms in the axle caps and wedges.
It sounds like its been awhile since the ol'Bronc has had some tlc...as long as you're tackling the brake lines, my advice is to go ahead and pickup some wheel cylinders, new brakes, a roll of brake line and a tub of wheel bearing grease and do a basic service of the front end. For about $50 or so your diff will thank you for it in the long run. If you don't have one, a chilton manual is a great and most basic shop tool.
Good Luck!!!

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
i was going to hold off on servicing the drum brakes up front, because my tax refund is going to go to disc brake conversion up there.

if i redo the hard line along the axle, will it be compatible with disc brakes?

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Congrats on the newest addition to your tool box. You will find this to be very handy indeed. I've always referred to them as a "Detroit Fine Alignment Tool".

Good to see you're getting some progress done. Now if only I could do the same!

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
okay, some pix from early on in the adventure.

Attachments

• bushings1a.jpg
    bushings1a.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 98
  • bushings1.jpg
    bushings1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 95
  • bushings2.jpg
    bushings2.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 95

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sweet looking black/blue/tan camoflauge basketball hoop blocker!
All of which are great colors for a Bronco. Looks like '69 Tan, '70 Blue and '75 Black.
Kind'a reminds me of a Johnny Cash song...
Who needs basketball as an excercise anyway. You've got Ford radius arms and Dana 44's to huck around, just for fun!!

Thanks for the pics. Take more as you go. And later, pics of you and your Bronco out on the trails enjoying the fruits of your labors.

Paul

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
From the pics I'd say that axle truss isn't a big deal, doesn't seem to hang down much at all.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Just so you know, you'll be doing this again. So pay close attention! My favorite part is putting the bolts back into the coil spring retainers.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
so long as i don't have to do it for another 5 years or so. seriously, my last two bolts are cross threading. i've tried other bolts, and they keep cross threading, too. i'm so sick of running into road blocks.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just so you know, you'll be doing this again. So pay close attention! My favorite part is putting the bolts back into the coil spring retainers.

Those are easy, Start them, twist in the coils, Long extension tighten them down then do the top.
On the C-Cap bolts, try to get some longer ones to get things started, then swap them back out before you torque everything down. Sometimes it is tough to get things going with the stock bolts.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
i'm replacing the stock ones with grade 8s. my project has come to a screeching halt until i figure out what to do about my bolt stripping situation. can i bust out the air tools and just force them in?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
They may just feel like they are cross threading, I always use an impact wrench to drive them in, all the way down.