• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BUYER BEWARE!!! I'm naming names! (page 4)

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Bronco Dilemma,
Last year I bought my EB from a guy who originally advertised it on e-bay. Everything checked out, talked to the guy and he answered all the questions correctly. (He rebuilds broncos for a living - some owned by members here) So, I bought the bronco and had it shipped to me.

When it arrived I was ecstatic. It was beautiful. And although there were some obvious problems that weren't mentioned and things left "unfinished" (brakes were shot, hole in muffler, seats not bolted in, NO SEAT BELTS, heater didn't work, headlight and turnsignals not working,etc, etc) - I was happy.

The problem came when I asked for the title. The EB was advertised on e-bay with a "clear title." However, in the state where the PO lived, they don't title cars before 1980 or so. And the guy bought it for cash from some guy and had no paperwork. And he never registered it. The EB hadn't been registered in years.

So, I can't get a title. Here in Louisiana, you have to have a title in order to get a title. I've been round and round with the DMV for MONTHS, and they won't budge. (car registration is especially difficult post-Katrina because people stole cars). Even trying to get it titled as an "abandoned auto" is a problem because it has to be abandoned for three years with proper affadavits stating that it sat in one place for three years, which it didn't.

The PO keeps telling me he'll get the old registration paperwork (from the people who owned it before him) and send it to me. I've been going round and round with him for months.

I can't get a title here. And I'm a bit angry at the PO for saying it had a "clear title" when it didn't, and for continually telling me he'll send me old registration paperwork.

I love the Bronco, but I'm tired and I want to get it on the streets, not just on our land.

Any suggestions, words of encouragemen, prayers?

Last edited:

BAMA

Loc.
PALM DESERT
How About A "bill Of Sale" ? All You Need Is To Have It Notarized And Your Good To Go.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Thanks. Nope, bill of sale is not enough here. If I have a bill of sale with prior registration, it's possible. But not by itself. I have a bill of sale, by the way - although it's not notorized so it's not much use anywhere.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
tell him your lawyer advised you to get your money back since legally you don't own the car then and can't get a title. see if he gets his end done then.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Find a glovebox door and clear title.........

Some say this is wrong........

If it will bring another back to life and it's not stolen property... GO FOR IT!!!

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I've thought about the lawyer threat. I have access to a good attorney (no shortage of those in New Orleans!!!) I may do that this week. I'm not sure about the glove box door and title idea. Thought about it. But not sure where I stand on the ethics of it. I work at a church and want to do everything with the utmost integrity.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'll check with my BIL, he buys and sells a few cars down there, and see what kind of advice he has to offer. He's over in Kenner.

PM me in a few days to remind me, and I'll let you know what he says. I can't promise anything, but I'll certainly check for you.

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
Is it possible to use one of the title services? We'd gone that route on a old jeep that was just a ranch rig for years. VIN and everything was intact, just no title.
Just an idea.......

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Any chance that you could get it registered in another state - MS, TX? That way you'd have a title there and then would be able to get it registered in Louisiana

Last edited:

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
ALABAMA is a bill of sale state as is Maine. Any resident of these two states can get a paper title for transfer of a vehicle out of state with nothing more than a bill of sale. There are people that even advertise the service in hot rod mags. I have a buddy that uses them all the time. If you are interested it is like $100 or so. PM me and I will see if I can get the information for you.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
00gyrhed - the PO never had it registered (titled). He just paid cash for it. So, he doesn't even have a bill of sale himself.

thegreatjustino - not sure about having it registered in another state. Do I need an address or a state drivers license?

Big One - I don't know about the "title services". What are they? Any idea about cost or how long it would take? (as I said, I'm running out of patience):p

Gummi Bear - I'm actually in Kenner. If your BIL could give me some wisdom, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everybody for your advice! If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. (By the way, yes, I have thought about shooting the PO in the knee. But, we'll wait and see on that one!;) )

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I have heard that Road Island was the easy state to get a title then go to your local louisana boys and transfer it to you ...Or I say get the title and glove box lid you've done your part and you sure didn't steal it ...You can't raise the whole world ...But Life is to short to not be enjoying your ride....

Big One

Loc.
Bartlesville, Ok
ALABAMA is a bill of sale state as is Maine. Any resident of these two states can get a paper title for transfer of a vehicle out of state with nothing more than a bill of sale. There are people that even advertise the service in hot rod mags. I have a buddy that uses them all the time. If you are interested it is like $100 or so. PM me and I will see if I can get the information for you.

Obscure: exactly what 00gyrhed posted. I'd look in an Old Car trader. They usually have a number of title services listed.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You want to get that guy motivated; post his name and info here. Everyone will PM him and or give him shit...alot harder for him to do business in the future...and he deserves no better if he cant finish his business from the past. This kind of crap really sucks! Good luck.

Brettman

Loc.
Houston
I agree with Trailpsycho, just posting the name here will make him/her think twice about doing this type of business on this forum. Plus, someone might know this individual personally and urge them to do the right thing. It can be done in a positive way without having to out someone, just a gentle nudge!

Brettman

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
thegreatjustino - not sure about having it registered in another state. Do I need an address or a state drivers license?

Not sure. When I bought my Bronco, I bought it in CA, but I was living in Nevada while working a temporary job. I was able to transfer the title to my name at the California DMV with my Nevada address on it. The pink slip still has the Nevada address on it.