• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C-4 backwords fluid level reading WTH?

RT

Bronco Guru
OK guys , got another backwords issue.

in the cold mornings the c-4 has been slow to go into gear lately,( about 2-3 seconds) but once the first shift into reverse happens, then into drive ( same delay ) everything works fine. Firm shifts and no delays for the rest of the day.
Changed the fluid, all looked well. Levels always been good when hot.

Just for S&G Tranny guy suggested to check the level engine off after the end of the day and check again in the morning to note the difference. Noted the level will show overfull in the morning.

Hah! in the morning the dipstick was dry ! fired up the engine , still dry , added a pint now overfull!
drove around and checked it when hot and shows overfull. by about a inch.
Parked it for a few hours , checked it with engine off and the dipstick was dry again.

Checked the transfer case, doesn't seem to be filling it . but the dipstick should still show low when hot if that were the case.

the cold low level would explain the delay in the morning , but if I add more to show full when cold it seems it would puke out when it gets hot

Got the tranny guy stumped , so how about you guys ?

Advise me 'O keepers of the wisdom and all things Bronco ;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can't accurately check oil level when cold. It will be low. The oil expands quite a bit when it gets hot and there is only a hot full mark on the stick. If you fill it to the hot full mark when cold it will puke when it gets hot.

Tranny guy was thinking the converter was draining into the trans overnight. He was wrong.

Sounds like it could have low pressure initially. Very common with old piston seals.

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
yup , I kinda figured. I didn't think could expand that much that quick though.

arrgg,,, piston seals ,, can't avoid the teardown. oh well

thanks Viper. back to the wenches,,,, uh ,,, wrenches ;)

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
Good news, no wrenches needed. Turns out removing the filter on the vent line fixed the level reading issue.

Even though I could blow through it both ways it was enough of a restriction .

Time for a mini k&n type I geuss. Now back to the 20 other things I wanna get done before Moab %)