• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 1-2 shift question

BroncoKelley

Loc.
Billings, Montana
The C-4 in my 74 has a hard 1-2 shift. It doesn't matter if I accelerate lightly or am in the throttle. Hot or cold it is the same. The 2-3 shift is normal and my garage shifts are normal. Since I got the Bronco I have serviced the transmission, replace the shift selector seals and installed a green stripe vacuum modulator with 1 turn clockwise to slightly delay the upshift to suit my liking (originally had a 2-port red stripe modulator). The fluid is type F, is nice and clean and the level is correct. The 1-2 shift was always hard before any of these items were done.
Does anyone have any clue as to what i should look for? Back in my GM days we had problems with the 1-2 accumulator (SERVO) springs breaking causing a hard 1-2 shift.

Last edited:

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I have same year and same trans, and same issue. That first to second shift is brutal! If I baby it it is not too bad, but still very snappy. I have no input as to a fix or even if normal, but I'll be following this post.

Brent

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There could be a problem with the servo or there could be some modification that was done to the valve body. You can remove both of those without pulling the trans out.

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Would a shift kit cause this i.e. Transgo or similar? To a certain extent is it better for the transmission for nice crisp shifts instead of slippage? I subscribed too, I don't think mine is as severe as you describe, but when the PO had the tranny rebuilt they added a shift kit.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Yes a shift kit causes a very positive shift. I have a transgo and you know when it shifts

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Would a shift kit cause this i.e. Transgo or similar? To a certain extent is it better for the transmission for nice crisp shifts instead of slippage? I subscribed too, I don't think mine is as severe as you describe, but when the PO had the tranny rebuilt they added a shift kit.

It could depending on the kit used. Most kits have you drill the separator plate. It doesn't take much enlargement to make a big difference in feel. Slow, drawn out shifts will wear clutches faster. Wear doesn't happen when they are disengaged or locked up, only when they are slipping.