• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Has The Dribbles

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
The other night, while under the Bronco finishing up the Centec Wiring Harness installation, I noticed the tranny (C4) leaking around the shift/kick down rod. Only leaking a few drops/dribbles a day, but still would like to fix it before I put it on the road for the first time. Is this seal replacable from the outside of the tranny, or do you have to drop the valve body. And do you need any special extraction tool to get the old one out and new one in?<br>Any help appreciated.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Mine does same, lemme know how hard it was and what was needed if you ever find out. Thanks

OP
OP
Krusher

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
[quote author=c2computer link=board=5;threadid=8501;start=0#62653 date=1031257284]<br>Yeah me too<br>[/quote]<br><br>I ordered the Shift Shaft Seal from Auto zone today in hopes of getting a reply by the weekend. It only cost $4.17, so I fiqured "Why Not".

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Yes, you have to pull the valve body off to get the shaft and seal out. Easy job if you know how to take the valve body out without jacking anything up.

OP
OP
Krusher

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
[quote author=74bronc link=board=5;threadid=8501;start=0#62658 date=1031258288]<br>Yes, you have to pull the valve body off to get the shaft and seal out. Easy job if you know how to take the valve body out without jacking anything up. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks, can you explain what you mean by "jacking anything up"? Never fooled with trannys. I'm told theres quite a few little check balls and springs in the valve body..... "DON'T LOSE THEM".

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Great, I just had mine rebuilt and it is leaking now. I am glad it is under warranty but wow, that is a big repair for a small leak. They messed up my valve body and had to replace the entire thing the last time I went in with the warranty.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Krusher link=board=5;threadid=8501;start=0#62665 date=1031259104]<br>[quote author=74bronc link=board=5;threadid=8501;start=0#62658 date=1031258288]<br>Yes, you have to pull the valve body off to get the shaft and seal out. Easy job if you know how to take the valve body out without jacking anything up. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks, can you explain what you mean by "jacking anything up"? Never fooled with trannys. I'm told theres quite a few little check balls and springs in the valve body..... "DON'T LOSE THEM".<br>[/quote]<br><br>Sorry, I was being a little vague. Anyway, there really isn't too much you can mess up on the C-4 valve body. First, you have to take the filter off. If you have never done this before, be careful of a spring and check valve that are compressed under a tab of the filter itself. They sometimes fall out and friek the person out. They are really no big deal, but pay attention to how they come out. Once you get the filter off, you can loosen the actual valve body bolts. The valve body WILL NOT come apart when you do this. The check balls are inside the valve body and once you get it out of the C-4 housing, you will notice that the 2 halves of the valve body are held together with a few bolts that can only be accessed from the top side of the valve body (the side against the tranny case). Once you get the whole valve body out, you will see the shift linkage that you need to take apart to get to that little damn seal. The only thing you need to pay attention to on the way back together is to make sure to get the shifter lever in the groove on the valve that slides in and out of the valve body is in the right spot and to make sure you get the kickdown lever into the right spot with relation to the spring loaded valve on the valve body. <br><br>I hope this made sense. I know I rambled quite a bit. Please don't be afraid of taking it on, because it is really not too hard of a job. The C-4 is actually pretty easy to work on. I have alot of experience with Auto trannies because I worked in a shop and rebuilt them for a few years, so they don't intimidate me anymore like they used to. I have an extra valve body laying around and I can take a few pics of it if you want. It might give you a better visual idea of what you are doing before you start.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Just wanted to add that I also did this repair and forgot the important note about mating the shift lever to the groove. Had to drain the fluid and drop the pan for a stupid oversight. It won't hurt anything but it made a heck of a racket when that lever rubbed on something spinning. I thought the tranny wsa ruined and then I mentally went through what I did and said to myself.....I didn't make sure that thing went into the groove....GROAN!!!! :p <br><br>By the way...some moron had tried to fix the leak with an O-ring. The seal is actually a tiny lip seal. I bought a seal and rebuild kit for $30 just to get the couple of seals I needed. :mad:<br><br>Good luck and have no fear!! Us hot rod classic Mustang, er, actually Cougar, dudes always install a shift kit and get into all those little springs and things...not a problem! What you are doing won't reqire breaking into the valve body...<br>Mike

OP
OP
Krusher

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
Thanks 74Bronc for the detailed information. For those following this post with the same issue, you might want to read further. Last night after determining this was something I could repair, I proceeded under the truck to begin disassembly. As I was looking at the spot the small leak appeared to be originating from, I noticed the Shift Shaft Housing was completely dry, no drips arround the manual shift lever. "How Could This Be" if the Shift Shaft Seal was leaking??? All of the fluid drips were near the Kick Down Linkage and the Neutral Switch. Took the retaining nut off, and removed the Kick Down Rod, and low and behold, there's a small "O" ring on the inside of the Shift Shaft, surronding the Kick Down Shaft. This appears to be the cause of the problem, and will be replaced tonight. Needless to say, glad it appears I won't have to drop the pan and valve body.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
If you have a dig camera can u post a pic please?? I dont think my C4 has the kick down lever on it. I installed the dam thing but from memory, the shift part looked differant than my buddys 77 c4 with kickdown rod.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
You are correct on the seal inside a shaft with a seal outside the shaft. If my memory serves me correctly, they both should be lip seals not "O" rings. Someone else may recall what came in their kits.<br><br>Good luck!